HybridZ

Hello all! Welcome to my First Z31! (Input/pointers welcomed)

Aaron D

Hello all,

My name is Aaron and I just crossed the line from 240sx camp into the "Z" world.

I picked up this '87 300zx Turbo this weekend am really starting to like it!

It has a build date of 7/87, so it should be the W-series VG30ET engine with the redesigned water jackets and fully floating piston wrist pins. It also has what I believe to be considered the strongest 5spd transmission and the clutch type LSD.

As far as mods, it came with a K&N filter, Manual boost controller, and a 3" exhaust welded on about 3' from the stock downpipe all the way back to a magnaflow muffler. All of which I plan to junk pretty much. The exhaust can stay, but that muffler is way too annoying! (I'm getting old, lol)

Now for the bad: It has a bad fuel injector though the car does run/drive and the turbo has a leaky oil return line.

As for my plans on the car, they're not going to be outrageous. Since I have to replace the injectors anyway, I figure I'd replace the turbo and add some supporting mods to bring the power up some. I don't have a specific power goal or 1/4mi time in mind. I just want to improve it some without going crazy on it.

Engine:

Re-sealing the engine with gaskets/hoses/belts

Replace master/slave cylinders

Clutch

Radiator w/electric fans

I plan on doing all the free/low cost mods I can along the way as well.

Suspension:

All new bushings!

Lower with struts/springs 1.5/1.0 F/R

4piston brake calipers (Z32)

Performance brake rotors

New wheels

Pics:

DSCN9153.jpg

DSCN9154.jpg

DSCN9156.jpg

DSCN9158.jpg

DSCN9171.jpg

DSCN9162.jpg

DSCN9167.jpg

DSCN9183.jpg

DSCN9188.jpg

I haven't done a compression test yet, but will as soon as I can.

I've searched a bit, but haven't located a "Turbo for dummies" kind of thread/sticky for these cars yet outlining the limits and required equipment to support certain HP marks. I'm not looking for huge numbers, but would like to see 400+ at the wheels while still being a nice driver.

I'd also like to restore the Air conditioning to a working status, but adding an FMIC along with the turbo upgrade. Anyone have a pointer on how that can be done?

Thanks!

Aaron D.

Don't replace the injector? Why would I not replace it? Even if it isn't "bad" I still need to pull them to have them cleaned/flow matched, but even so I do want to upgrade to a larger turbo charger, which would require larger injectors... (checking into RX7 550's.. I dunno, I just know some RX7 guys that have these parts laying around...)

Also I'm looking at emissions removal and whatever vacuum lines I can eliminate. I'll also be doing some searches at Plentum gutting once I do eventually get the engine out.

Yeaaahh, I've learned on the 240's I've had that it's just too easy to pull the whole engine/trans out and working on my workbench or engine stand than to break my back bending over for hours at a time and scratching up my paint.

Don't replace the injector? Why would I not replace it? Even if it isn't "bad" I still need to pull them to have them cleaned/flow matched, but even so I do want to upgrade to a larger turbo charger, which would require larger injectors...

that's what i was getting at. don't replace THAT injector. replace all of them, with bigger ones.

that's what i was getting at. don't replace THAT injector. replace all of them, with bigger ones.

The man has a point. If you want to meet your goal of 400+, then you will want bigger injectors all around.

Also, I'd like to say thats a beautiful car! Its very hard to find them in that condition AND in that color combination. The best way to learn is to read up on these forums:

http://www.z31.com

http://www.z31performance.com

http://www.88hybrid.com

Also check out:

http://www.xenonz31.com

http://www.redz31.net

That should get you started :)

The man has a point. If you want to meet your goal of 400+, then you will want bigger injectors all around.

Also, I'd like to say thats a beautiful car! Its very hard to find them in that condition AND in that color combination. The best way to learn is to read up on these forums:

www.z31.com

www.z31performance.com

www.88hybrid.com

Also check out:

www.xenonz31.com

www.redz31.net

That should get you started :)

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for all the links too.

I've checked out most of them and they have been very helpful/informative. I must admit that when I bought it I didn't know quite what I was getting into until after the fact and did more digging. Now that I have it and know more about it, it's the version I would have preferred!

I just got off work, tomorrow I will begin draining fluids as well as pulling the engine/trans out for further evaluation for upgrades.

On a side note, When I pulled the hood off the other day I discovered that it had never been removed before. I almost felt like I was defacing it by breaking that paint seal! lol

• 6 months later...