HybridZ

mk3 Supra intercooler?

Zchef85

About 2 months ago I created a thread concerning the rod knock my 300zxt was having. at this point i am currently rebuilding my junkyard vg30et and will be pulling old engine from car probably early january.

Today while at the junkyard I picked up an intercooler from an 89 turbo supra and a bov from a saab 900. I am also installing a brand new clutch which is long over do, as well as a custom 3 inch exhaust w/a glasspack. After i get my new engine running and smogged i am planning on installing the fmic and bov. so thats where i am at right now. I am planning on running around 12-13 psi with this setup on 91 octane. has anyone used the stock supra intercooler before? how did it work?

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

I know several people that have used it with the L28 and the 7MGTE. Many Supra guys are making well into the 300 RWHP with it.

I have a MK3 that I drive daily that I am running 11-13 psi on, works great. If I can do it with a 3 liter you will be fine with a 2.8 personally I would get a NEW ebay BOV before I ever relied on an OLD dried up stock BOV. A bad BOV is the source of a lot of wrenching and repairs in the MK3 world.

What's the stock boost on a Z31?

I bought a MK3 intercooler for my 78 280Z with an L28ET because I wanted a cheap IC with the in and outlets on the same side. I ended up cutting one of the outlets flush because it had a curvy end, so after the cut, the inlet and outlet were basically parallel and flush. And no, inlet and outlet don't matter on an intercooler, some objects are optimized for airflow in a certain direction, but I don't know of any ICs that are.

I was running 13-14psi on my setup with Megasquirt, but had certain issues with oil leaking and other things so it is not on my car currently. It seemed to be just fine at that boost, and I have been told that with any IC a stock L28 turbo can run 12-15psi, where you would be limited to about 12psi without the IC. I don't know how that translates to your VG setup, but my guess is things might be similar.

I ran my car without a BOV for a while, the air just flows back through the turbo when the TB closes, and from what I was told that's not too big of a problem until you start running more boost (at 7psi at that time). As long as the BOV looks clean and when you put a vacuum on the actuator valve, it opens smoothly, I don't see any problem with using a used Saab bov.

Good luck!

Really? That's impressive? I was under the impression that those ICs are decent but not great, and MK3 owners start replacing theirs with upgraded ICs once they get past 300-350hp. Any links to threads about Clifton's parts and power?

Also, Zchef85, you might want to go ahead and delete your other thread since your question got answered in this thread, and the admins (and the rest of us) really like to keep a clean forum.

The mkIII intercooler is quite restrictive to flow. Turbo magazine had a review in the late 80's. I believe they found it to have close to a 3 psi drop at around 7 psi manifold boost. So you need to make 10 psi at turbo to get 7 out. That' quite a loss. This does not mean that it does not work, as plenty of people have used it successfully, including myself (I had a lightly modified mkIII). So if you're on a tight budget and already own it, its reasonable to use.

However if you keep pushing the car, bigger turbo, more boost.... as many of us do, it would be worthwhile at some point to replace it with one of the newer cheap and fairly efficient aftermarket intercoolers that have become widely available over the last 5 years or so.

^^ agreed they work i have used it in both ct26 set up and 57 trim.

BUT the catch is they are not very efficient/very restrictive. why use that when ebay intercoolers are very cheap. i have made a swap from stock to cheap ebay IC on my supra and the gains are VERY notisable. but that was on a 7m though.

why not spend a few more bucks and get an ebay ic that flows/cools much better? just my opinion.