HybridZ

Teen Insurance On A 240z

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people don't realize that a good number of the major insurance providers have collector automobile insurance programs of their own. You would of course have to call around and find out about their individual terms and limits.

I have Hagerty now and only pay $130 a year for 4k agreed value coverage on my Z. I did have to first make sure that my primary use vehicle was insured through another company and supply proof to them. One of the great thing about them is the less lax age limit, and no stated yearly mileage limit. You just have to make sure you keep it in a locked garage when not in use and not use it for daily driver duty (hence the proof of a primary use vehicle).

No, you do not need any special tags or plates to acquire Hagerty insurance.

The processes all depends on the state you are in (physically, not mentally). Usually you have to insure the vehicle before you can register it.

When I was going through this with my Z in Arizona, I first purchased my insurance from Hagerty, then with all appropriate paperwork in hand went to the DMV. I registered my vehicle (for $21) and payed the extra $20-25 for the historical vehicle plate.

Well, lets put it this way. Going from medical + liability on my 1991 honda accord to full coverage + medical on my 240z only cost me $7 more per month. I'm 18 with a perfect driving record (one speeding ticket that I differed - doesn't show on my record) and I have the "steer clear" program and good grades benefits from State Farm. If I remember correctly, steer clear is 20% off my total and the grades get me 15%. I think my total is something like $55-65/month, somewhere around $400 every 6 months. I know that it doesn't exceed 1k/year, but if I didn't get my discounts I would be around $1200.

edit: still on parents insurance plan and will be until I'm out of college. We hold several policies through state farm (cars, home, boat, r/v, blanket policy) so I'm sure that also brings the costs down significantly.

I feel bad for how much you have to pay for insurance down there.. i remember by buddy got a 97 T/A WS-6 for a grad gift (this would have been in 2002) and it only cost him 1200 Canadian to put plates on it at the time i think in U.S coin it would have been about 975.00 a year and that full coverage insurances

Im only 18 and ive owned and insured abround 8 cars, some being Talon TSIs, 5.0 Mustangs, and my Impreza RS, ranging from $900 for my 87 civic, to $1800 for my 5.0 hatch. If they found out what ive put into them, (which dont ever do unless you want to insure it for theft or whatever) id be living on the street. My talon was pretty high as well, i think in the area of $1700. And i actually did get a quote on a 260Z that i did buy, was like $900ish because its a classic car. Long story with that car though...