HybridZ

Rough Idle, White Exhaust liner and Spark Plug on #3

S130Z

I have a 83 280ZX and have been trying to figure out this problem for about 4 months now. I have searched all of the listed criteria for my problems both through HBZ and various other tech site. What is wronge is that I have a rough idle, the #3 cylinder exhaust liner is WHITE and so is the band on the spark plug. The seat of the plug is showing a rich mixture and all of my other spark plugs look fine. I have checked compression and it is ok. All of my sensores are doing just well and I know that I am getting fuel and spark. The only modifications are a N42 manny, 300zx injectors, and 60mm TB. I feel like asking for help is my last resort.

Well my only though on it being the injector is that they are only about 3-4 months old. And when I pull the clip off that injector the idles goes down just as much as when I pull one of the olther injectors. I have thought that it might be the injector clip since they are old and cracked. But my problem started about 2 weeks before I replaced the injectors.

I tried picures but the camera was not too clear on up close pics. There are some deposits that are the same color as the plug. The strap has deposites all along the area where the timing is judged. And I have noticed a lot of steam coming out from the exhaust.

I tried picures but the camera was not too clear on up close pics. There are some deposits that are the same color as the plug. The strap has deposites all along the area where the timing is judged. And I have noticed a lot of steam coming out from the exhaust.

Steam=Headgasket

although you said you did a compression test, I would double check #3

Ive had a headgasket let go but still have good compression. It was just leaking enough to be able to pull in the coolant at low rpm high vacuum. Obviously its gotten worse before I changed it. But thats what it started out as. But it does sound like thats your problem.

what are your compression numbers? it is easy to say "okay" but with additional evidence, sometimes a simple dip is enough to indicate a problem.

I would also try swapping #3 injector with another injector, to see if the problem follows the injector or not. It is probably a red herring.. but it *is* alot less work than pulling the head.

Have you tried a leakdown test? That might also help to corroborate the "headgasket" diagnosis.

I have not tried a leakdown test yet. The last time I checked the compression was about a month ago and the numbers were 178psi all the way across. The symptoms have not gotten any worse since then. I wil also try swapping the injector around.