HybridZ

Need help on 97 LT1 wiring

Guest BESZ

I just droped a 97 LT1 with a T56 into my 72 z. I am trying to get the wiring corret. I have the OE wiring with 2 control MOD and wires go every where. Do i still need my Front & Rear O2 sensors. Egr. to get my car to run right. can I get a chip and disguard alot the usless junk. I need a starting point. what are the main compoints that I realy need.

I don't know how California handles smog laws for these cars. This has been discussed here a lot so do some searching for that. You do need the 02 sensors to run correctly. Without them your computer will not know what to do with fuel mistures. You do not need the EGR but California may require it. If you want to eliminate that it can be done with computer programming.

There is no chip, you need to reprogram the computer through your OBDII port. There are companies that do that for a price or you can buy software and do it yourself.

One big thing you will need to deal with is the VATS system. Again this can be eliminated in the computer. If you want to keep it all you need is the VATS module and figure out the resister from the original car's key. If you don't do one of these the car will not start. If you do manage to partially wire around the VATS but don't eliminate it from the computer it will only run for a few seconds and then the VATS will turn of your fuel pump.

I just droped a 97 LT1 with a T56 into my 72 z. I am trying to get the wiring corret. I have the OE wiring with 2 control MOD and wires go every where. Do i still need my Front & Rear O2 sensors. Egr. to get my car to run right. can I get a chip and disguard alot the usless junk. I need a starting point. what are the main compoints that I realy need.

its a 72 so california emissions can be bypassed no smog needed. Ill try searching again for other posting, but most of the postin i found are 95 and under OBD1 not 2 but Ill try again. anybody with links PLEASE sent it to this post

It doesn't matter if its 94 -97, OBD1 0r OBD2 you still program it through the diag port, just uses different software and cable. You can remove all the EGR stuff from the engine, just be sure to delete it in the computer. But you still need the O2 sensors for the fuel maps to work right. Heres a list of what was changed in mine:

1. WOT blocker. This is a tuner trick used for modified cars, but also helps with stock programs. It locks the BLM's at 128 at WOT. Keeps idle corrections in BLMs from altering the entire range of fuel correction.

2. EGR, CCP, A/C sensor pressures, traction control were all disabled

3. Raised the rev limiter to 6400 RPMS

4. Gears 3.54 and 215-50-17 tires programmed

5. Lowered the fan temps to 179 and 197. This is usually where the fan temps get programmed to when you add a 160 thermostat.

#4 and 5 will depend on your situation.

its a 72 so california emissions can be bypassed no smog needed. Ill try searching again for other posting, but most of the postin i found are 95 and under OBD1 not 2 but Ill try again. anybody with links PLEASE sent it to this post

what brand or kinds of programable software are out there. whitch on do you recomend. that sounds like the way to go. thanks Im a newbe at this so please excuse me if the questions are alittle dumb I just want to do it right the frist time.

A friend of mine did my computer for me using Datamaster software.

There are several software packages out there, like LT1 Edit and TunerCat. It isn't cheap. The cable alone will cost you around $100. You should do a search on Google for LT1 programming. It should return both software links and links to companies that will program your computer for you. If you don't plan on making multiple changes getting yours done for you may be the way to go.

Try these guys http://carputing.tripod.com/9697lt1edit.htm for starters.

And http://www.tunercat.com/

what brand or kinds of programable software are out there. whitch on do you recomend. that sounds like the way to go. thanks Im a newbe at this so please excuse me if the questions are alittle dumb I just want to do it right the frist time.

You can also have the rear o2's deleted out of the computer too. They only monitor the efficiency of the cats, and your fronts are where your air/fuel readings come from. Like said above, the car will not start unless you have bypassed the VATS either through programming or with the appropriate resistors. This site will become your new best friend. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

That's good to know. Mine is a '94 so no rear O2's.

Shbox rules thats for sure. They got me through a lot of trouble spots. Even though the site is mainly 95 Lt1 info a lot of it still applies to later models.

You can also have the rear o2's deleted out of the computer too. They only monitor the efficiency of the cats, and your fronts are where your air/fuel readings come from. Like said above, the car will not start unless you have bypassed the VATS either through programming or with the appropriate resistors. This site will become your new best friend. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

What are the things to know about the OBD1 as that is what I am installing into the gold 240Z. It's out of a 93 Trans Am/ LT1/T56

Just got the "Helms" Factory Shop Manual for the TA. About 2" thick. Should have any answer that I might want except what I can de-program out of the computer if you can that sort of thing with the OBD1

See post #4, that is what was removed and modified in my '94 LT1. You think that Helms book is thick? I got the GM Fbody manuals, all 4 of them. Each one is at least that thick!

What are the things to know about the OBD1 as that is what I am installing into the gold 240Z. It's out of a 93 Trans Am/ LT1/T56

Just got the "Helms" Factory Shop Manual for the TA. About 2" thick. Should have any answer that I might want except what I can de-program out of the computer if you can that sort of thing with the OBD1

Larry (post #10),

You're aware, I hope, that '93s are different in that the computer reprogramming requires burning and installing an EPROM chip. '94s and up have flash-upgradeable memory. Also, batch fire injectors rather than sequential fire, among other differences. I gather there is no performance penalty, interestingly.

Cheers -- Gary

Good catch, I missed that '93 note in his post.

From Wikipedia:

The 92-93 LT1s used speed density fuel management, batch-fire fuel injection and a dedicated engine control module (ECM). In 94 the LT1 switched to a mass airflow sensor and sequential port injection. A new, more capable computer controlled the transmission as well as the engine and got a new name: powertrain control module (PCM). Where the ECM held its calibration information in a replaceable chip, the PCM was reprogrammable through the diagnostic port.

Larry (post #10),

You're aware, I hope, that '93s are different in that the computer reprogramming requires burning and installing an EPROM chip. '94s and up have flash-upgradeable memory. Also, batch fire injectors rather than sequential fire, among other differences. I gather there is no performance penalty, interestingly.

Cheers -- Gary

If you remove the smog stuff from the engine you need to remove it from the computer too or the computer will be confused about not getting the proper inputs. You might talk to http://www.madtuner.com/ or another chip programming companey (search Google) about your needs. They have several options on how to do this. If you don't have access to a chip programmer and the knowledge on how to work on electronics you're going to have to have someone do it for you. You might ask that question on a GM message board like http://www.z28.com/forum/index.php or http://www.fbody.com/lt1/postform.htm But don't mention you're putting thier beloved engines in a Datsun, LOL. Just say you want to make a smog free engine and ask who they reccomend for programmimg the chip.

Basically you need to do some research to understand what these computers need in your situation so you only have to do it once.

Yea, I was told by the previous owner that the chip had been up graded I believe while it war still in the 93 TA. What would I need to delete or would I have to delete anything out of this system for the install in a non smog installation in the 240Z. Thanks

Hey this 93 lt1 has a tag on it indicating that it has a reprogramed chip in it, The company is ADS Superchips out of Tyler Texas. Anyone heard of them or have any imput, I went to their web site and they didn't list any products for an older LT1.

Not sure on that. There is probably a part number on the chip itself inside the ecm. Your best bet is to get that number and call them about it. I was going to tell you that another good forum for the LT1 is LS1LT1.com. Lots of knowledgable guys there and tons of well organized (stickied) info. :cool: