HybridZ

New .45 cal toy

dr_hunt

A guy called me the other day and wanted me to haul a semi van trailer to albuquerque for him. I told him $400, he says ok. The trailer only has 4 tires and wheels on it and I ask him what he is going to do with it. He says load it with his stuff for storage and haul it to farmington which is some 250 miles or so. I said your going to need all the tires and wheels on that to be safe. He says how much? I happen to have 4 old tires and wheels that I was going to take to the auction, so I said $400, so $800 total. He says would you trade for some guns. Went to look at what he had. Nice stuff mostly weatherby's and browning shotguns. He pulled out this pistol and I had never seen one like it or in this shape, so I snatched it up. Anyone have any idea what this is worth?

DSC009483.JPG

I checked rugers website and by the serial number it was made in 1972, According to Ruger they were made in 1971, 1972 and 1973 only. It is a 3 screw old model flat top blackhawk in .45 long colt with a 4 inch barrel. The kickers are the 4 inch barrel and the rosewood grip with brass trigger guard and grip frame. All I can find in the books is that the brass part is a very rare factory installed option, nothing on the gun itself.

Regarding the brass trigger guard, it is also possible it is an aftermarket guard as they were available at that time. One of my old shooting buddies has the same revolver only with a 7" barrel. He purchased and installed a brass trigger guard. It's certainly in the $400.00 + range.

Tom

That is a really nice find. The brass grip frames were not common. I was told they were undesirable because they would shoot loose so I didn't buy one back then. Wish I had now. I'm not even sure the info I receive was correct.

I took a gunsmith apprinticeship a couple of years later,in "75" and checkered the Aluminum backstrap of my Blackhawk and did some custom grips. A customer saw it and offered me the grip frame from his Super Blackhawk along with the hammer and trigger in exchange for my set-up. Of course I made the trade and still have the O.M. Blackhawk.

Your revolver looks like the blue is 100% in as much as I can tell in the photo. If it's as good as it looks and the grip frame is documented from Ruger I would think that revolver must be worth $1000.00 or more.

There are several books available at the better book stores that will tell you more about it's value. The most popular is the " Blue Book of Gun Values ".

As a matter of fact I just made a call to a friend of mine that has these books and as soon as he gets home from Phoenix he said he'd call me with info on this guns value.

Waddie

The 2006 blue book lists that weapon at;

100%= $825.00

98%= $700.00

95%= $600.00

80%= $225.00

This is the book the buyers use and I think the guns are generally under valued. There is another similar book out there, the name of which I can't remember just now, that generally runs higher values.

In reality though you can get whatever the traffic will bear on an item such as this. I just figure out what the

" offer I can't refuse " will be and price it accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...