HybridZ

240z Dash Authenticity...

Guest Cruzmeister

Guest Cruzmeister

Hi folks

I'm currently looking to buy a '71 240z in Australia. However, I'm at odds, why the cigarette lighter is located on the dashboard, rather than below the radio (next to the fuse box) like so many others I've seen?

240zDash.jpg

And as you can see in the photo, the trim below the radio has the cigarette lighter hole in the centre console trim, yet the cigarette lighter is located in the dash.

The questions I have are:

1. Did later '71 model 240z come with the cigarette lighter located in the dash as shown (which means the centre console trim with the cigarette lighter hole is not the correct trim)?

or

2. All 240z came with the cigarette lighter located below the radio and the location on this one is a modification?

If this is case, is it difficult to move the ciggie lighter back to it's original location? How do you cover the hole left in the dash to match the rest?

The attraction for me in highly considering buying this Z is its supposed originality without any modifications.

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks

In the USDM, the lighter was moved from the center console lid to the dash location either mid-71 or 72. My 71 has the console location and my 73 has the dash. Looks to me like your 71 has had a newer dash installed.

If you are not too worried about originality, you might consider selling the console lid - unmolested early ones with the lighter hole get pretty good prices - and replace it with a later version. Either that or wire it up and use it to power your ipod or radar detector.

The USA 1972 model year cars had the re-designed center console with the ashtray behind the shift lever and the cigarette lighter moved to the dash. These started production in August 1971 and were usually sold as 1972 model year cars because they complied with the 1972 safety and emissions standards.

Check the build date on the ID door plate. If the date is 8/71 or later then it probably is the correct and original dash. If the date is before 8/71 then it’s probably had a later dash installed in it.

BTW, such questions are better answered at the Classic Z Car Forum:

http://www.classiczcars.com/