HybridZ

Seat belt length

OK here's what I am trying to do-I have removed orig. seat belts from my '71 240z. I have found retractors from I think a 260/280 and they are mounted above the rear 1/4 windows (where the originals were removed from). They have no belt material in them.

I want to get rid of the old style belts that have the lap belt attached near the door sill and then are attached to the shoulder belt at the latch.

I have obtained all the parts and nylon belt material to convert the seat belts into 2 anchor system like on newer cars. This is where the belt is anchored in 2 places and the piece that latches into the latch slides along the belt material and then clicked into the latch.

The question if anyone has this kind of system, how long should the belt be when fully pulled out of the retractor to the anchor point at the door sill?

I want it long enough to reach around to be latched but not too long that it flops around when not in use.

I hope I've explained it clear enough.

thanks

If you already have the material, wind up as much as the retractor will take, and then mock it up in the car. If you keep everything snugged up how you want it and then remove a few inches from the overall length you will be left with the maximum belt length while ensuring that you won't be left with extra belt flopping around when not in use. It shouldn't matter how much belt there originally was if you find the right amount to fit your specific set up :)

Hope this helps!

I just purchased a set of 3 point retractable belts from Motorsport Auto for my 71. They are made by Retro Belt USA. Price from MA was 189....about $60 bucks cheaper than on the RBU website.

I will scan the installation instructions today and measure the overall length of the belts. That should get you going in the right direction.

I thought of doing the same thing you did but decided on against it due to the safe being of my hide.

I also considered using a set of 240SX belts I have laying around and am pretty sure they will work as well but but didnt do it as I wanted the metal buckles.

In my quest to find retractable belts I also talked to this outfit a number of times. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=NEW_SEAT_CAT_HEAD about their custom belts. But they were extremely reluctant to recommed any sort of intsllation instructions. To the point of concern. In the end they came back and said..."we only restore belts". So I reminded them of their custom belts on the website and they repeated their reply. They proably act this way for liability reasons but it makes me think they dont know what they are talking about. What pisses me off is they had really nice brushed SS buckles I wanted...Oh well! I guess they are called Snake -Oyl for a reason.

I will post details later today.