HybridZ

LT1 with 165000 miles

I found a Chevy Impala 1995 LT-1 former Police car with 165000 miles for $500. I can get the tranny for an additional $200. I am undecided about the tranny since I already have a WC T-5. The car starts and idle smooth with good throttle response, but I did not drive it. The owner told me the tranny is also in good condition, I can take anything I need from the car.

Do you think it's a fair deal due to the high mileage? Computer, harness and fuel pump are also included. He will remove the motor, but I have to part everything else that I need.

Can someone tell me how long the LT-1 can go before a rebuild?

Thanks,

I would say if you can, get a compression tester and test all the cylinders. If the compression is decent, and it's not making any valve noise ect. It should run a while. 165k is a lot of miles though, it will probably need some work (valve job) before too long. sounds like a good price though.

Inspect the plugs for build up from oil consumption. (Assuming the plugs have been in a while.) Also understand that police cars tend to idle a long time( while waiting for a fresh batch of donuts at the local Dunkin Donuts)

Seriously, thats a fair amount of miles. Add to that extended idle time. Most see good maintance. Not Bad for $500. Squeeze the seller a bit more, .........Clive can help you with negotiation techniques.:)

That seems like a pretty good deal to me, considering you can pretty much yank just about anything you need or want to go with the setup!! The only thing I would think you might want to look into changing prior to installing it into your ride is that stupid optispark!! But that is just me... I mean yeah if you can get the price even lower that is always a plus... but I would say it seems like a pretty good deal!!

You don't say where your located, it is a fair deal but not a good one for that mileage. I bought an 80K LT1 from a 95 Caddy that was babied for $225 last summer with no accessories, no computer, and a butchered harness so deals are out there. Look for Caddy's and Buick Roadmasters and Non police Impalas for a LT1 motor, you know that they had a much milder life that a Police Cruiser.

The Camaro and Firebirds are great with the aluminum heads and all (actually the Iron head flows better, but the aluminum ones can be ported and improved upon to be even better) but try to actually find one that wasn't beat on and had a rough life!

I bought one from a Firebird LT1 that sounded fine but developed a knock and it had only 80K so I now know it probably had a rough life.

I wish people would give the Opt-Spark a break the 95-97 vented units are fine, it was the early non vented units that gave it a bad rap. Unless your building the motor and going to be reving it way high the Opti works just fine. I know of LT1's with that mileage and more still running the original cap and rotor!

You can get a lot of mileage out of these motors before needing a refresh, with EFI and computer control the cylinders are not washed with fuel as they were with carburators so there isn't the cylinder wear there used to be in the past.

Greg

I thought about the compression test, not only I forgot my compression kit, it was a cold day after the ice storm in New England and the car is seating in a lot so close to the other cars; the owner had to use a broken back window to start it. I would like to get the tranny also to make things simple in term of wiring, but I already bought a WC T5 with all the components for the setup. I may pickup the motor this Saturday.

Two weeks ago, I found a 94 Roadmaster with 145000 miles for $450 with a bad tranny, but the owner wants me to pay $200 to his mechanic to remove the motor. I could have taken the whole car, but I don't have space in my driveway for it.

Gvincent:

I thought about giving you a call since I think Greg Vincent who lives next town from me might be you. Do you have parts for sale in bostongraiglist?

I live in Mansfield, MA. It will be great to have a Z guy living next town.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll buy it since majority of you think it's a good deal.

HI,

Mansfield, Yes right next door, I am in Norton, we definately have to get together.

Yeah I still have a few parts left from the Trans Am I parted out still on the Boston Craigslist.

This is great, I thought there wasn't another V8 Z guy anywhere in MA.

Jason, (Midnightmoonlight) is a Z nut also and autocrosses his Z but it is not a V8, He lives about 50 miles away in Westford and of course John of Baddog parts etc. lives in Bedford. I am the only V8 HybridZ member of the ZCCNE that I know of but there are a few Turbos.

Give me a ring or email and we can get together.

Greg

Just for one data point on the cost scale, I paid $1750 (plus $500 or so freight) for a 33K '95 Caprice LT1/4L60E, computer, harness (both PCM and underhood fuze/relay block) oh, geez, I guess a couple years ago now. Ebay advertiser in Ft Lauderdale, allegedly specializing in LT1s. Details on request, anyone.

Haven't run the motor yet but in due time, eh?

Cheers -- Gary