HybridZ

Coldest weather you've driven your Z in?

PanzerAce

By drove do you mean actually went somewhere or does around the block count. I cruised around the block last week with the temp at 55 below with wind chill, 30 below without wind. The S130 does not like to start when it's that cold. But I gotta do it to make sure nothing freezes up.

By drove do you mean actually went somewhere or does around the block count. I cruised around the block last week with the temp at 55 below with wind chill, 30 below without wind. The S130 does not like to start when it's that cold. But I gotta do it to make sure nothing freezes up.

Shifting is fun at that temp!

Been getting down to -4deg F. That is 32deg below freezing. Suppose to get colder.

Around 0 Fahrenheit. 9800 feet altitude, 10:30 p.m. snow falling, no wipers, no heater, no winter clothing, running lights and headlights shorted out. It was around this time last year and I was driving from Phoenix to Southern Utah. I was driving a back highway over the top of Cedar Mountain in my '72 and came across a couple in an upside down Jeep Cherokee. They had rolled it off the road into a field just a minute before I came by in my Z equipped with Falken summer tires. I helped them gather some things from the XJ with socks on my hands, but luckily a man in an Impala was driving through 15 minutes later and had spare seats for them instead of my one passenger seat. We all made it down the other side of the mountain safely.

I used to DD Z's as winter cars for years. Chevette front springs all around (raised the car about 2 inches) and 4 185/75/14 snows and you were good to go. The 70 240 ran down to around -13 F then had problems starting with the SU's. The 77 280Z would even start at -58 F in Prince George, BC without a coolant preheat, with that gear reduction starter and a Delco 1000CCA battery installed. Furthest north that car went was Fort Liard, NWT (North of 60). S30's are great winter beaters.

In a Z? About -28F. In a VW Microbus? -50F

In a Jeep CJ10 Bobtail, between -58 & -65F, depending on what shift I was working.

These are ambient conditions--no pu$$y wind-chill numbers, real, actual starting temperatures BEFORE windchill is applied (which is pretty much irrelevant since you're indoors in the car, anyway.

Now you want to talk windchill... On a Ford Tractor, towing a 5mph maximum speed, into about a 30 knot wind, -65 AMBIENT---you do the math on the windchill...I have never wanted to know how I abused my exposed flesh that evening, I got stuck with the tractor once....ONCE!

Sometimes you drew the short-straw and got stuck with the ONE tractor on the deployment, other times you got the nice warm cab of the jeep...

I think Doung and I were just across the border from one another driving our respective conveyances... those diesel bobtails you simply didn't shut off...the just ran and ran and ran. Driving at -58F is a whole different affair than driving at -58F wind chill...

In a Z? About -28F. In a VW Microbus? -50F

In a Jeep CJ10 Bobtail, between -58 & -65F, depending on what shift I was working.

You win! Where on earth were you?

My best in a non Z is -45C (no wind chill) in a VW golf. No block heater and it started right up. Slowly but started. The only problem was that one I put the car in gear the clutch froze in place and I had to keep driving untill the heat released it.

For you southern fellas...-40C = -40F Freakin cold!

-2 ..others could not move..the ol 78 did...why I took her out of the garage in -2 degrees I have no idea..only did it one time..took her home and back in the garage..didnt bring her out till spring..after apologizing to her for about 5 min for that stunt..I dont think she ever really forgave me..lol

Crap I miscalculated again!!

Anyhoo we just got 20in of snow in a 24hr period. Not to shabby.

Yeah not to shabby at all. I couldnt imagine driving my datsun in this, I wouldnt have an airdam... theres so much snow on the roads around my house you cant really just go strait. Luckily I have a RAV4 that I can just blow through it all. :) I love driving in the snow, but not shovelling it!

:lmao:I know a fair number of people from the south...and I would say your right. You go out and buy candles water and granola bars if you hear of a pending cold front. My family goes out for dinner during a snow storm and 6" of fresh powder. Its a beautiful time to be out!:mrgreen:

I think if it ever got below 10 deg F, everyone in Texas would die. Seriously. We don't even have a fireplace, so if the power gos out , its freeze and die time.:eek:

I think it was right around 30F with about 6 inches on the ground when I left this morning, heading up to Barstow where it's colder. Not too bad, except the only heat that works on the car is the driver's side mirror. Massive vacuum leak in the automatic climate control system and the PO started to remove the hatch tint by cutting down the full length with a razor blade, I think 4 cuts?

Oh, and the t-tops leak. But I have a lot of layers....