HybridZ

Metal glovebox?

I replaced my paper glove box (73 240Z) with a 18ga metal one I fabbed up. Any interest in these? I spoke with a sheet metal laser guy that said he could cut the parts for me. I'd weld them together and send them as is or like I did mine with rubberized undercoating inside. Form/fit is exactly the same as stock. i'm thinking maybe $50-60 +shipping (depending on what laser guy charges me). Covers my cost and time. PM me if interested. If I get enough interest i'll try and plan things out and get a run cut.

:worthless:

Patience, Drax..

Pix to come... as said though form/fit is the exact same as stock.... meaning... looks the same and fits the same as stock, but in metal.

actually, welding is the cheap part. i'd be doing that myself. It's the cutting and bending of the metal that takes a large amount of time. that's why i talked to the sheet meatl guy.

Most aftermarket vendors will give you the choice of buying the glove box FLAT or ASSEMBLED.

Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls MA ONLY ships their repop gloveboxes unassembled so they can go in a flat postage box and save on shipping.

This is something you may want to consider. not everyone has a sheetmetal brake at home to make the proper bends in the sheetmetal, so the increased price of shipping is the price they have to pay for not being equipped!

Hey all,

I have pics... it'll be a few days before I can get them uploaded though (holidays/no internet at home).

I guess the benefit of the metal box would be in the replacement of the flimsy paper one that seems to deteriorate over time. I'll need to do a bit more fit tests to be sure that this thing can be installed without removing the dash. My dash is currently out of the car.

There is a weight gain from the metal box but I imagine it's negligible.

I suppose if folks are interested I could ship it "unassembled" and folks could weld it themselves if interested.

The box I built however does not have the overlapping flaps that are used to staple the box together. I removed these during fab so the seams could be butt welded. Adding these overlapping flaps would most likely increase fab costs at the metal shop. Right now my plans are for a simple pattern with two breaks/folds (trying to minimize the shops handling to reduce cost).

I've coated the inside of mine with rubberized undercoating. I may hit it with some trim black paint to match the dash as well. I could ship these assembled but without coating if needed. I also know a powder coating guy out here so I’m sure I could have him coat something to whatever color you'd like.

Sounds like there is at least a minor amount of interest... so I’ll go ahead and continue with drawing up some plans for the laser and figuring out costs. Metal guy said the first run would be more expensive for the labor time to enter the pattern/etc. Next runs would basically be cost of metal and a small labor fee.

Again,... holidays coming up so give me some time to get things going. Keep PM'ing me your interest and I’ll do my best to keep tabs of who's interested.

Thanks ya'll

Merry Christmas!

ah I didn't realize the 240 had a paper glove box. What a silly choice of material.

Exactly what I thought. It's like a 1/8" rigid cardboard like material. Don't know why they would have chosen that. Metal/plastic seems much more logical. Can't believe no one has made a replacement in any other material either...

UNTIL NOW!!

I think the pattern that I have is only good thru '73. I'll have to do some more research for the later years to see if I can make some for them also.

Anyone know have any later model boxes that they would mind donating to the cause? I'd pay shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
Working on autocad plans now. First run soon... hopefully. New ones will have better fitting joints and crisp bends and laser cut edges/holes for installation.

Plans at laser guy today. He said it should be a couple days before he gets the first one cut.

If your interested let me know and i'll start a list for the first run. I'll have a better idea on cost after the first one is cut. I anticipate around $60 - $70 + shipping/handling

Paper version is $42 on ebay + S/H!!

Cost will increase if you want powdercoating. (not sure on this yet).

Metal box would be great for mounting ECU's and music components.

Have another older car with a paper/press board glove box? PM me and we can discuss sedning me the stock box and me drawing up plans and getting one made.