HybridZ

first time datsun owner ( my new project)

just got a call from my dad's mechanic and i now im heated what originally told me was a bad crank and rod has turned into a $1500 repair which doesn't seem right to me. does anyone know if this is reasonable, he said something on the lines of timing repair, bearings, water pump. when i originally brought him the car it was because i could hear the knock from the rod, but now im in over my head. but for $1500 i feel there has to be a more cost efficient way than this.

WOW you shouldn't have to replace your crank...... and if you did just use the one from the turbo its the same.

Just a thought but most people treat the L series as if it was an american V8 and put WAY too much into it.

Lots of stress with a whole new project. Sorry to hear your bad news but with most mechanics they can only speculate what it will cost, that's why the never set it in stone!

just got a call from my dad's mechanic and i now im heated what originally told me was a bad crank and rod has turned into a $1500 repair which doesn't seem right to me. does anyone know if this is reasonable, he said something on the lines of timing repair, bearings, water pump. when i originally brought him the car it was because i could hear the knock from the rod, but now im in over my head. but for $1500 i feel there has to be a more cost efficient way than this.

Wow there's a lot of engines availible that don't need to be rebuilt. (these L28's are easy compared to v8's) You should be able to find an L28ET (turbo) engine for ~500 ish. and there are other L28's availible for cheaper than that. PM me and I've got some leads for you on the locks and a lot of spare parts cheap.

PharaohABQ

$1500 for an L26 rebuild? If you're going to spend that much I'd look-up getting an LD28 crank, some L24 Rods and KA pistons.

Your dad's mechanic hasn't started anything, yet, has he? I'd read through this: http://www.zcsd.org/tech-articles/power-quest1.php and this: http://www.zcsd.org/tech-articles/power-quest2.php .

Hell, if you want, PM or email me I think I might have an extra L28 block/head and rotating assembly for you, cheaper than $1500. I'd be shipping it from San Diego, CA, though. :x

so i just got back from a well needed vacation to Miami but i read all of your post. i got in contact with a guy named todd that owns a shop in tampa called Z fever. he offered to install another low mileage l24 for $1000 everything included. i am in need of transportation and getting this thing back on the road is my main priority. if i had a way to spend the same $1000 and have a reliable built motor i would but i dont think its possible. let me know if im wrong. im taking my rods, crank, i just bought, back to sell. and i will be taking the intake manifold, carbs, and headers from my old motor for my new one. the rest of the motor i am planning on scraping for $ or i will bring them home if anyone is interested in buying them but i need to know ASAP, beacuse if i dont hear anything by 12:30pm tues april 6 they will most likely be at the scrap yard.

i am not sure if anyone has heard of todd at z fever but he has engine swap post on ebaymotors and has a ebay store. i stopped by his shop yesterday with a lot of questions and he was more than happy to sit down and go over things with me. he is also allowing me to come to the shop and paint my engine bay at the shop before he mounts my new motor. just figured i would put in a good word.

I`ll be in Tampa in July.Where in Tampa is the ZFEVER ? I might just stop by.

4715 n clark ave tampa,fl 33614

its by the bucs stadium and the yankees spring training field

owners name is doug, and hes been great with helping me get the car on the road again. also he offered to let me come into the shop and help out and he would teach me some things and they have a dyno in the shop if anyone is interested.

people will offer to help and show you stuff if your paying for a grand of work.

Really though, you could have a running L28 in your car for less than $500, alot of people would be willing to help you get it in. Plus you can learn valuable info for anything in the future as far as swaps go. You'll probably have it up and running in a day or two for atleast half the cost.

people will offer to help and show you stuff if your paying for a grand of work.

Really though, you could have a running L28 in your car for less than $500, alot of people would be willing to help you get it in. Plus you can learn valuable info for anything in the future as far as swaps go. You'll probably have it up and running in a day or two for atleast half the cost.

i am aware but the motor hes putting in is very low mileage, and runs strong. he is also fixing electrical problems the car has been having and repairing my door locks and linkage. if this was a weekend only car i would have just done it myself but my nova happens to be out of service at the same time and i need reliable transportation asap.

Well, Needing Transportation is understandable. We all get "over a barrel" sometimes. So yeah, you could probably get a L28ET installed and running for $1000 but it would take time to find one. I'm not sure why you're going with the L24, since so many L28's are around, and so much more powerful. I hope that guy in Tampa at least gave you that as an option. But oh well you take what you can get. N good luck with it. Find yourself a good local Z club. They're almost always willing to help. ( I spent my saturday last weekend helping my club pull an engine from a Z31 for another member. FREE! he just provided a cooler and some snacks. it was fun) A good club would provide help and info about that's what.

Your Engine, if you'd got a 83ZX L28ET w/ the P90A head, you would have almost twice the HP that L24 he's putting in would have. I guess it's good he's fixing your doors and wiring for the same $1000. so I guess it's not so bad a deal.

he has my old motor pulled and started doing a slight rebuild on the new motor that was in the shop. but i am contemplating telling him not to do anymore work tow it home and sell it. there is a lot still wrong with this car even after this is all fixed and its stressing me out to even think about it. i still need to have the frame rails under the seat welded in. i took out the stock seat mount with the old rusted floor thinking that it was ok for me to bolt a sparco brand universal flat mount seat bracket straight to the floor and was not aware that this was unsafe and that i also need that seat bracket as a brace. Also i had a buddy of mine pull the car around the block to his house to weld on it when the car was not running and he was a little to happy on the throttle and he ripped lose one of the front tow hooks. i originally thought that it was just the hook that broke but now that the engine and radiator is removed i can see that it has actually ripped open the front of the boxed frame rail. all this added to the fact that this car has broken doors and hatch and needs a new ignition key switch.

when i started this project times were pretty good and i had time and money to put towards it but since then my aunt passed away from breast cancer, my mom had hip replacement surgery, continental airlines shut down my dads call center, and then the car died. so im pretty much in over my head now. and i also have 3 other projects ('74 nova, '48 chevy fleetline, 1990 rx7 fd) which are all closer to being finished than this one. a week or so before my aunt passed away my aunt bought a '99 Volvo for $4000 and they are liquidating assets and will allow me to pay $1800 for it so there is money into the estate, and i thinking my plan is to make as much as i can off of this car to but me towards my goal of $1800 + auto train fees from va to fl.

if i were to sell it with the blown engine, the good 5 speed tranny, and the exhaust and headers that i bought the car with but i would pull my sparco seat (to sell separately or maybe keep to go into one of my other projects) + i still have 2 different non turbo heads, a p90 head, a turbo block, 2 turbo valve covers, turbo crank, l24 crank, and a red cloth mk3 supra seat that came in the car that i would throw in with it as well. what is this worth?

im just trying to get rid of all of this and get reliable transportation. so if any mods read this is there anyway i can have the fee waived for the buy sell section due to the situation to help get rid of this. i would love to really dig into this car and fix everything like i have see some of you do but without reliable transportation its not going to happen.

was waiting for doug to get off the phone today at the shop and took the chance to take some pictures of my car and other pics around the shop

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

the 2nd pic is of the front left frame rail that was ripped open and rusted looking into the price of replacing these and also the under floorpan frame rails from zedd findings if i were to keep the car

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

the gold 280z is/was an awd conversion that i think was abandoned but i am not sure did not ask

the blue 240z was in the back and in pretty good condition thinking about asking him what the deal is with it and if its for sale

• 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to take those weber carbs off your hands. ha ha I bought two 240z's awhile back for 700 and have been working on them whenever I am home from college, but I understand your frustration--my cars have had no end of little issues. I have ordered lock mechanisms and such from, I think its Black Dragon, maybe. They have all kinds of parts for decent prices. I would check them out. It would not help the removal, but might help with replacement parts.

• 1 month later...