HybridZ

WTB 240Z in Northeast

Stephonovich

Looking for a rust-free 240Z, preferably '70-'72, but I'll take a '73. I'd like one that's stock, at least motor-wise. If you have a decent suspension or wheel/tire setup, I'd be interested. An R200 would also be nice. Finally, the car needs to be driveable. I'm not really interested in trailering the car home, and I also want to drive it for awhile before I dump an LS1 into it.

I'm in Groton, CT, so hopefully something within 2-3 hours away shows up.

Regards,

-Stephan

Looking for a rust-free 240Z, preferably '70-'72, but I'll take a '73. I'd like one that's stock, at least motor-wise. If you have a decent suspension or wheel/tire setup, I'd be interested. An R200 would also be nice. Finally, the car needs to be driveable. I'm not really interested in trailering the car home, and I also want to drive it for awhile before I dump an LS1 into it.

I'm in Groton, CT, so hopefully something within 2-3 hours away shows up.

Regards,

-Stephan

I might be willing to part with mine. How much is in your budget?

Depends on what the car has done to it and the condition. A stock, in good condition Z, probably around $5000. If it has some parts in it, maybe a bit more. If that's laughable, let me know and I can adjust it. I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable amount though.

Check out my Photo Album and my Cardomain site. The readjust your $$ a good bit.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9509

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/626930

In percentage terms, what do you consider a "good bit" readjustment?

It would certainly need to many times the $5000 mentioned. If you look at the work that was done, the quailty of the car, and just the cost of the parts to build it, you would see that it would cost $35K -$40K to build another one like it. The car when I got it was close to $10K before the engine swap, brakes, suspension, stereo, interior, A/C , etc. And it was a clean lightly modified 240Z. And that was in 2003.

I would like to see a 240Z as clean as mine in stock condition for $5K. I would buy as many of them as I could find at that price. (not joking so sned them my way)

I would entertain serious offers over $30K. Or a bit less cash and a trade might be a possiblilty too.

I am not sure most people would understand a "good bit" to be a 600% increase, but good luck selling you car in this market.

If you are serious about selling it, you should be as aggressive as you can be as soon as you can, because with all the housing foreclosures and all the job lay offs - - especially those coming after the new year - - I think you are going to see a lot of nice cars for sale in an ever-declining market. (No house means no garage and no job means that you are selling your classic cars)

If you watch ebay, you can already see it happening. Cars are not selling. It took almost 3 months for a guy to sell a really nice fully built twin turbo 350z and he ultimately sold it for like $28gs I think - -after asking $38.

There is one on there now, that the guy cant get $25k for.

Anyway, good luck.

David, very nice car.

Thank you!!

I am not sure most people would understand a "good bit" to be a 600% increase, but good luck selling you car in this market.

If you are serious about selling it, you should be as aggressive as you can be as soon as you can, because with all the housing foreclosures and all the job lay offs - - especially those coming after the new year - - I think you are going to see a lot of nice cars for sale in an ever-declining market. (No house means no garage and no job means that you are selling your classic cars)

If you watch ebay, you can already see it happening. Cars are not selling. It took almost 3 months for a guy to sell a really nice fully built twin turbo 350z and he ultimately sold it for like $28gs I think - -after asking $38.

There is one on there now, that the guy cant get $25k for.

Anyway, good luck.

I am not trying to actively sell it. I have given some thought to it over the past year but I am still attached to her. I am fortunate that I am not in a position where I need to sell it as the economy is not well suited for "toys" right now.

Also, You can't compare a Collectible 240Z to a mass produced 350Z. These days, 350Z are very plentiful and many people have them and lots of them are for sale, modified or not. 240Z are much more rare and very collectible and there are still buyers out there with cash even in a challenged economy.

As to the 600% increase, the original poster is a newbie here and from what he wrote in his post, I was not sure if he was looking for a really nice LS1 powered car or not so when he came back with

" Depends on what the car has done to it and the condition. A stock, in good condition Z, probably around $5000. If it has some parts in it, maybe a bit more. If that's laughable, let me know and I can adjust it. I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable amount though."

If he had even glanced at the pictures in my signature or Avatar or had a real grasp of the Z car market, he would certainly know that it would not be a $5000 car. Good LS1 motors are still selling for $3000 alone. So after I read that, I was just trying to be nice about readjusting his offer. It was obvious that my car was going to be way out of his budget.

Happy Holidays,

Well put David.

As any of you know, buying an LS1 Z for $5k or less is a once in a lifetime deal for now. That deal came and went when Dale sold his car. There is a project LS1 Z for sale now that isn't completed and asking is more than $6k. I wouldn't even sell mine for $6k and it is no where near the shape as David's car. You will need at least $10k for a decent to nice LS1 Z if someone is willing to part with the car. I am def in the hole almost $20k in my car ;)

As to the 600% increase' date=' the original poster is a newbie here and from what he wrote in his post, I was not sure if he was looking for a really nice LS1 powered car or not so when he came back with

" Depends on what the car has done to it and the condition. A stock, in good condition Z, probably around $5000. If it has some parts in it, maybe a bit more. If that's laughable, let me know and I can adjust it. I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable amount though."

If he had even glanced at the pictures in my signature or Avatar or had a real grasp of the Z car market, he would certainly know that it would not be a $5000 car. Good LS1 motors are still selling for $3000 alone. So after I read that, I was just trying to be nice about readjusting his offer. It was obvious that my car was going to be way out of his budget.

Happy Holidays,[/quote']

I've actually been lurking here for almost a year.. Every time I'd go to post something, I'd search and discover it had been discussed and answered ad infinitum. I don't have enough knowledge to offer advice to anyone as a reply, and I didn't want to clutter the forum with dumb questions and hostile "Use the search!" answer.

I also did not think you were selling the car in your avatar. I figured you had another Z laying around, perhaps a stock project you had abandoned. If I had, I definitely would not have lowballed you like that. Your car is indeed awe inspiring and very well done.

I based my price on what I'd seen stock decent Zs going for on eBay and Craigslist. I've seen quite a few go around the $5K range. A little higher if they are exceptional for have a story behind them. Even the perfect, <30K original mile cars are being listed for <$20K, and they aren't getting a whole lot of interest at that price.

Forgive me if I have come off as haughty or indignant. I'm merely trying to explain my position.

I've actually been lurking here for almost a year.. Every time I'd go to post something, I'd search and discover it had been discussed and answered ad infinitum. I don't have enough knowledge to offer advice to anyone as a reply, and I didn't want to clutter the forum with dumb questions and hostile "Use the search!" answer.

I also did not think you were selling the car in your avatar. I figured you had another Z laying around, perhaps a stock project you had abandoned. If I had, I definitely would not have lowballed you like that. Your car is indeed awe inspiring and very well done.

I based my price on what I'd seen stock decent Zs going for on eBay and Craigslist. I've seen quite a few go around the $5K range. A little higher if they are exceptional for have a story behind them. Even the perfect, <30K original mile cars are being listed for <$20K, and they aren't getting a whole lot of interest at that price.

Forgive me if I have come off as haughty or indignant. I'm merely trying to explain my position.

No problem. You sound like you have been doing your homework. I should have made it clear as to which car I was offering.

Best of luck in your search for a Z car. Take your time, It will pay off in the end. I looked at over 20 cars and it took almost 2 years for me to find mine.

Happy Holidays,