HybridZ

franken-z

whats up guys. this is only my 2nd post on here. thanks to everyone for all the help with my last one about my hi beam/lo beam dilemma. so, i bought a 73 240z, w/ 260z motor and 280z 5 spd and r200 lsd. hence, franken-z. i know the 260z motor is mostly shat in the sense that its basically a detuned 280. (still plenty of power though). my car looks like crap and im ok with that. what i really want to do is make it a sleeping beast on a budget without a whole LOT of modifications. i don't know if i should just turbo this motor which probably has many miles on it. if i should get a 3.1 stroker or just got the SBC route. i would like to do it on a budget. im trying to sell my street bike and half of it will be for my z and half for my 66 mustang ($2k each) let me know what you guys think. i think i would like to keep a nissan motor, but im not totally against the sbc. thanks

IMO for being on a budget, the L28ET (280ZXT) would be the best. Direct drop in and cheap. Here's the problem with the 240Z using that motor. It's originally designed for a carb so you will need a 75-76 280Z gas tank. Wire up that bad boy and get a boost controller to boost it up to 10psi (manual boost controller is the cheapest in price) DO NOT GO PAST 10 PSI UNLESS YOU CAN TUNE IT. Stock HP of the engine is rated at 180BHP at 5-7PSI.

If you do it yourself, yes less than 2k...you'll probably have some extra money to dump else where like suspension, maintenance parts, BOV, Intercooler, beer, women, etc.

Here's what I would do when you have the engine (L28ET) in front of you.

1. Clean

2. Check Everything- belts, hoses, gaskets, turbo, water pump, thermostat, etc. (Best time to do this and easiest time to change parts)

3. Replace intake manifold with N42 (75-76 280Z which I found these on) non-EGR intake manifold. Remember, NON EGR intake manifold. Should be able to find this in junkyards for cheap. Clean this piece up. This piece will clean up the look of your engine bay greatly and you'll be able to add a 60mm throttle body from a 240sx if you wish. OEM is 50mm. If you're not too sure about this, please do a search. I regret not doing this when I did this swap.

4. Pallnet fuel rail (barbed style is OEM or O-ring depending if you want to upgrade your injectors..$100)

Honestly I think wiring is going to be the hardest part. When you finish, don't forget to post up some pics so that we can see how it turned out. These engines were never really appreciated by society except by us Z heads and those that have felt the wrath of this engine lol.

Good luck with your project