HybridZ

I got asked about those electric turbo scams

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_110827/article.html

anyone that would fall for these gizmos has no concept of mechanics or physics, but read thru the link for some giggles at the expence of anyone thats so totally clueless, as to buy one!

but want to try one anyway

save 90%

youll still be throwing your cash away but hey, its YOUR MONEY!

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=Attwood+Turbo+Bilge+Blowers&s=3885&o=1034730794&d=Attwood+Turbo+4000+Blower

As I understand them (Still waiting for the article to load so I may be repeating their conclusions) they are powered by the electrics, which comes from the alternater, which puts a drag on the motor and robs power that could be being sent to the rear wheels... and the power added by the electric fan raising boost is less than the loss of power by the larger alt needed dragging on the engine!

Very Rice IMHO.

I've kicked the idea around of an electric turbo, but something much more sophisticated and for a drag racing burst only. If you used a big bank of lithium ion batteries on a big three phase fan, I'm sure you could get big boost, but the trade off would be the weight of the extra batteries plus the monstrous price tag that goes with it.

The thing in the hyperlink is junk, but I think an electric turbo is possible.

Put the beer down and sober up. Or is it a christmas egg nog?

The fan would be larger then the car.

seriously, I think it would work, but why would you want to do that over just running a regular turbo or centrifical super charger?

Take a look at the tesla electric car, powered by a three phase motor, you wouldn't need a motor that powerful.

I doubt that it has anywhere's near the airflow needed and would act as a restriction.

I don't even want to know how bad the whine would be from those fans being backdriven by the intake tract air pressure. I bet these things get removed five minutes after they're installed just because of that.

Take a look at the tesla electric car, powered by a three phase motor, you wouldn't need a motor that powerful.

It's not the size of the motor, but the size of the fan.

A 2 Pole electric motor will run at 3000 rpm (But sounds terribly noisy, you would want a 4-Pole at most) Then you might be able to run a gearbox setup which could make the fan shaft spin faster (Oh yeah, and fans are a pain in the but to start), but unless you get the fan going really fast (I.E. Like a turbo impeller) then you will need very large fan blades.

By the way, 3 Phase power supply in a car? How many batteries are you thinking? 415V 3-Phase out of 12V Batteries. Good luck, not only will it look like a airplane with the fan sticking through the bonnet, but it will weigh as much as a f350.

Sorry to sound so negative, just the engineer coming out of me. We are generally pretty skeptical.

Hmmmm. Lets try to put things into perspective...

small compressor turbine ...highly engineered .....spinning up to 140000rpm or a small electric motor / fan spinning at 3000rpm

I dont know about you guys but I have no idea where to find an electric motor built into a compact enough package to place under the hood of a car capable of that type of air delivery and not requiring a bank of batteries or a very long 600V extension cord.

Hello Mcfly.....:mrgreen:

Hmmmm. Lets try to put things into perspective...

small compressor turbine ...highly engineered .....spinning up to 140000rpm or a small electric motor / fan spinning at 3000rpm

I dont know about you guys but I have no idea where to find an electric motor built into a compact enough package to place under the hood of a car capable of that type of air delivery and not requiring a bank of batteries or a very long 600V extension cord.

Hello Mcfly.....:mrgreen:

lol If anyone really wants a cord let me know lmfao thats great. could you imagine the saftey inspection crew on that " sir your going to have to take this cord out of your car to run the track...... actually I was hoping you could plug that in" lmfao

Like I said before, the idea I had was for a drag race only setup. It would also be for a dedicated race car. The fan could be put in place of the passenger seat, much like the intercooler setup the NMCA guys are running. The fan will not be running for more than a few minutes at a time.

One of the problems with big fans is they take forever to spool up to speed. With an electric fan you could spool the fan up and just blow the excess air out, like a waste gate. During a launch you reroute the air to the engine intake.

Getting three phase out of DC shouldn't be that hard with a phase converter and an ac convertor. Although this may not be necessary, the torque of a three phase may not be necessary if you plan to spool the fan up ahead of time.

I don't know why someone doesn't hook an air compressor up to the intake with a high flow valve and just dump as much air as the engine can take down the strip. It seems a bit more logical than the leaf blower.

ITS BEEN DONE! but the size and weight of the tanks in the car makes strait compressed air almost not an effective solution, so to allow use of a smaller lighter tank with the same oxygen content to allow the same fuel volume to burn they tried straight oxygen, it melted pistons and burnt valves, next they tried swapping to NITROUS , with double the atmospheres oxygen content and a mix of ALCOHOL and TOLUENE , mixed with some oil as the fuel and upper cylinder lube,with its low burn temp and high octane and decent lubrication properties, it worked great, but many racing organizations won,t allow that.

SO were back to use of nitrous and gas. as the best compromise.