HybridZ

Heat on, but not always getting heat

Help!

My daily driver (honda civic) has just starting doing this. The car is fully warmed up, and my heater is putting out full heat, then for no reason, the heat turns cooler, and I can't get any heat. If I leave it alone, eventually heat comes blasting back. The blower keeps running as normal, it is just the temp that drops and then comes back.

It just started doing this this week? I'm tempted to trade the car in due to mileage, and it is due for a lot of other maintenance. ie timing belt, bushings, windshield, 1 caliper is starting to sieze up, I need two new tires, a 4wheel alignment (hence the two new tires needed) and I need all the fluids changed due to age/mileage.

Car is a 2002 with 224,000 km's It has lots of life left, but I drive 1000k per week, and I need absolute reliablity for my job.

Any ideas? I may need to act on this in the next few days.

Thanks,

Scott.

maybe its an issue with the ducting...

obviously the heater core can't be cooling down as long as your water temp gauge indicates proper temperature....

I think the ducting that opens and closes is malfunctioning.. so when you turn the heater on it might be mixing fresh cold outside air with the warm air that should be sealed from the heater core.

give it a peak?! i dunno just tryin suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

Well the coolant level was fine, I suspect the controller in the dash is acting up.

I managed to solve the problem though. I ditched the car and bought a new Sentra. Cheaper ins, new car and only 20$ per month more than what I was paying.

I did some calcs on what was owing, and added up the needed and soon to be required repairs, and it just didn't make sense to pay that kind of money to drive an old highmileage car.

I got an very good deal on it. I have lots of Nissan friends hehe

Thanks all for the ideas!