HybridZ

MSII Confusion

aziza z

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things:

- You have the cranking RPM set too low. Raise it to 350 rpm.

- You have Priming Pulsewidth set at 2.0 for all temperatures. It should rise as the temp goes down. Here's a screen shot of what I use - I set it once and since I don't have any issues with starting I haven't tweaked it further, but it's a starting point for you.

- It appears that you're not using PWM Current Limiting for the injectors, so set the PWM Time Threshold (ms) to 25.4

- Required Fuel is way off at 20.0 ms with 440cc injectors. As a point of reference, I'm using stock turbo injectors (270cc) and Required fuel of 5.5 ms for 2 squirts (equivalent to 11.0 with one squirt). This gives me VE values in the idle range in the upper 20s. Calculate the required fuel, set it, and only come back and change it if the VE values are too large (>255) or too small (<5) at the extremes of the VE table. You should not be using it to tune idle.

- I'm using an MSD box so my More Ignition Options are different than yours, but I wonder if Maximum Dwell Duration of 3.5 ms is ok. Perhaps someone who has MS driving the coil can comment?

Capture1-21-2009-7.08.59 AM_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

aziza z, it's obvious that you're becoming frustrated and discouraged, and that's understandable, to a certain extent. And if you decide to give up on MS, that's your choice, and as mobythevan says, it's a shame.

But if you're still game, I think a few of us are still willing to coach you through this. But in order for that to work, you'll have to give us more info. For example, in my last post I suggested a few changes to get you on a track that will result in a tune that you can live with. After a week we haven't heard anything back except last night's rather cryptic post.

Remember, those of us reading this thread can't see you or your car. We only know what you post. We can sometimes make educated guesses about likely errors based on our own experiences (errors). But we need clues.

I expect it will be a new day when you read this, and if you're game to continue, then give us some more info and we'll see what we can do to help.

- I'm using an MSD box so my More Ignition Options are different than yours, but I wonder if Maximum Dwell Duration of 3.5 ms is ok. Perhaps someone who has MS driving the coil can comment?

Since I posted this I've converted to MS directly driving the coil (removed the MSD box). 3.5 ms is fine, if a little on the high side based on my limited experience so far. My car is running fine with 3.0 ms.

In any event, I don't think this setting is the cause of your problems.

Matt, Take some deep breaths and a fresh attitude and you will get your engine running. I have been working as a mechanic for 25 years and I know what your feeling. I have seen more than my fare share of new car computer system problems, some have taken weeks to figure out. But you have to step back for a few and gather yourself man.

Matt Cramer, Moby, Tony D, and quite a few others have helped me with my Megasquirt install and running problems. All were my fault and also me not understanding fully what I needed to do. Once I got the help from here that I needed my engine runs Great. I just need to finish tuning it when I get some time.

So like Zmanco said, post as much info as you can about the problem so they can try to help you get your car running.

Thanks guys. I didn't quit (unfortunately thats not the kind of person I am :icon53:). Anywho the problem was just a blown fuse. Not really sure how it blew. Anywho the car runs and idles rough. I have the wideband in the car. Im gona try to tune it myself. If not, Ill try to find a shop in the area that can do it for me (school starts this week so i wont have time :weird:).

Thanks for the help guys. Ill keep this thread alive as the car gets a little better to drive and post my msq file to help others.

Perhaps I can take a few minutes and look at it. I live about 15 miles from you. I will be in Florida starting tomorrow and won't be back for a week. Maybe either the 14th or 15th, I can spend an hour or two with you. I am far from an expert, but, maybe I can help.

Good Matt,

Ok take the wideband out and then start checking why it's running rough.

What are your VE idle settings?. Should be around the 30-45 range.

If the engine is missing check which cylinder is the problem by disconnecting an injector or plug wire.

Check for any vacuum leaks by spraying the starter fluid around the intake and all the vacuum hoses and connections. The idle will pick up or go down if you have a leak where you spray the fluid.

That should get you started.

Perhaps I can take a few minutes and look at it. I live about 15 miles from you. I will be in Florida starting tomorrow and won't be back for a week. Maybe either the 14th or 15th, I can spend an hour or two with you. I am far from an expert, but, maybe I can help.

I would appreciate that. I sent you a pm.

I will be in Florida starting tomorrow and won't be back for a week. Maybe either the 14th or 15th, I can spend an hour or two with you. I am far from an expert, but, maybe I can help.

Cool. The that means you can come over and help me with my install!! Florida's not that big of a state.

Derek