HybridZ

70 z with l28 IR alt.

STROKERACE

hey folks I just purchased a 70 240 with an 83 L28 turbo motor in it and I noticed that it keeps draining the battery so I researched a bit about the alternator and found that unlike the stock one on the L24's which use the external VR, the 83 L28 motor has an internal VR on its alt. I am curious as to how would the internaly regulated alt. work correctly on my 240 when the external VR is still connected???? I can provide pics if needed. Before I buy a new alt. for the 83 motor I'd like to know if I have to somehow alter the external VR. any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

You probably have a normal 240z Alternator with the voltage regulator. You can tell buy how the alternator looks.

Putting the 83 Alternator in requires some rewiring, I would look into a simple GM 2 wire alternator setup if you search there's loads of information on how to do it. plus the newer alternators push way more power than the 83 or the 240z alternator will