HybridZ

Changing gears in R200 lsd?

Gixxer Squid

I have searched around but did not get an exact answer to my question which is this?

Can I put new gears only in my R200 differential? Would it be easier and less expensive to do than doing a new swap?

I have a R200 LSD but with a 4.11 gear ratio and my car is now turbo'd rather than carburated and 1st and 2nd gear is WORTHLESS as I bounce through these gears in a heartbeat.

I wanted to go with a 3.7 gear ratio. I have a 5 speed transmission and when in 5th gear at 72-74 mph the turbo starts to kick in boost and it is not driveable this way.

Suggestions?

James

Can I put new gears only in my R200 differential? Would it be easier and less expensive to do than doing a new swap?

James, the cheapest way out, in my humble opinion, is to pull a 280Z rear pumpkin from a local junkyard and do the swap. It's rather easy and there are threads upon threads to cover whatever problems you may encounter.

Most 280Z diffs are 3.54 ratios, which is much better than your 4.11 gears for what you have. You may be able to sell the 4.11 pumpkin on ebay or Craigslist to some kid that wants the low gears for drag racing or something...

Davy

Thanks guys.

You think a 3.54 is better than a 3.7 gear ratio, I still want to have some pick-up and go.

There is one on ebay right now: Do you think just picking this up and selling what I have without taking it apart and such might be a better deal all the way around? What would be the maximum to pay for something like this or should I just go to the junkyards and look and hope for something better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-R200-LSD-240Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250346857667QQitemZ250346857667QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks guys.

You think a 3.54 is better than a 3.7 gear ratio, I still want to have some pick-up and go.

There is one on ebay right now: Do you think just picking this up and selling what I have without taking it apart and such might be a better deal all the way around? What would be the maximum to pay for something like this or should I just go to the junkyards and look and hope for something better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-R200-LSD-240Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250346857667QQitemZ250346857667QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Can I put new gears only in my R200 differential?... I have a R200 LSD but with a 4.11 gear ratio...I wanted to go with a 3.7 gear ratio...

There are two diameters for the bolts on the R200 ring gear, 10mm or 12mm. The early R200’s used 10mm diameter bolts and the later (1984 and up) used the 12mm. You should confirm what your existing LSD unit is drilled for.

Picking up an open R200 with the gears you want and swapping the carrier is the easiest way to go. You will still need to shim the carrier bearings for the new gearset and housing. Most all transmission shops can do this. Change the seals while you are at it. Also, keep the races with the carrier bearings.

There are two diameters for the bolts on the R200 ring gear, 10mm or 12mm. The early R200’s used 10mm diameter bolts and the later (1984 and up) used the 12mm. You should confirm what your existing LSD unit is drilled for.

Agreed. I have used newer carriers that have holes for 12mm bolts with older R200 gearsets that used 10mm bolts without any problems. If properly torqued, you should not have any issues. The ring gear is carrier centric, so the bolts do not do the alignment.

Pete

Sounds as if I need to do a little more homework on what I have before I start shelling out $$ and then find that its not quite what I need which I have been NOTORIOUS for that in the past and pissed away more money than I want to admit.

3.36? I am not real sure, that might work real good and then it might not. I have not quite gotten a census as to what most are running as it covers the spectrum with turbo-charging. It would have to be LSD though since I am pushing over 400+ hp to the wheels.

Dumping the clutch is definately not what I am into as this usually leads to destruction of some component or the other. However I am trying to build it for trackdays and 3.36 may be a bit low for exit speeds out of corners. What do you guys think?

James

I wrote up the swap when I put the Precision Gear LSD in my 85 turbo diff. It had the 12mm bolts. But IME, most places CAN'T handle the shimming. I did not have to do anything with mine as backlash was perfect after swapping. I pulled the OEM bearins off and reused them.

I would recommend a 3.54 if you are running a tire under 26 inch diameter. I have run both 3.7 and 3.54 in my car and the 3.54 is quicker and faster on the strip.

Thanks. I will take that into consideration. Thanks for posting this as I have not really gotten a consensus as to what most of the turbo guys are running. Of course it probably depends on their objectives for the most part so I guess its up to me to figure out what mine are......:icon32: