HybridZ

hy35 turbo with no intercooler? what psi?

7MGFORCE

hi

so lately im been thinking of what combo i can put on my other 240z to make it more stealthy. so it will be l28et with hy35 turbo.

i was curious can this be run at 15psi without intercooler with meth injection? and would that make it to 350whp?(on ms system) im trying to avoid adding a flashy intercooler. and trying to shave some weight as well

Oh yes, an intercooler weighs a ton and is totally conspicuous.

car3.JPG

Stealthy enough? (yes, I am running a 24x12x3 core IC)

side view yes but upfront no. all the ic ive had has always stuck out in the front bumper. b/c of the fact that its aluminum compared to anything else. and its hard to get away with a big ic when a cop inspect the car. yes cops here in cali do inspect under the hood.

mu other option was water to air inter. but that weights more than air to air.

You are just being argumentative. You can only see it up front if you bend down and look for it from no more than 10 feet away. Hell, it could be confused for an aluminum radiator.

I guess that Irvine is not in California anymore. If they are inspecting under the hood of a L28ET swapped 240z, you have more to worry about than the IC. Your logic is flawed.

First you say you are trying to shave weight and not have a flashy IC. IC's do not weigh that much and I just showed you that you can have a "stealthy" setup on a 240z. Hell, I am even running both horns in their stock location.

Now you say that you are worried about cops inspecting under the hood. Guess what? Your L28ET swap, unless certified, is illegal. If you made it a legal, certified swap, you could not run more than stock boost and you could not run Megasquirt (legally).

Also, how many V8 swapped 240z are running around California? If the cop asks them to pop the hood they are just as screwed and they do not have an IC.

You are just being argumentative. You can only see it up front if you bend down and look for it from no more than 10 feet away. Hell, it could be confused for an aluminum radiator.

I guess that Irvine is not in California anymore. If they are inspecting under the hood of a L28ET swapped 240z, you have more to worry about than the IC. Your logic is flawed.

First you say you are trying to shave weight and not have a flashy IC. IC's do not weigh that much and I just showed you that you can have a "stealthy" setup on a 240z. Hell, I am even running both horns in their stock location.

Now you say that you are worried about cops inspecting under the hood. Guess what? Your L28ET swap, unless certified, is illegal. If you made it a legal, certified swap, you could not run more than stock boost and you could not run Megasquirt (legally).

Also, how many V8 swapped 240z are running around California? If the cop asks them to pop the hood they are just as screwed and they do not have an IC.

god im glad i live in colorado the cops here dont really care. Plus why worry if you dont break the law you dont have to worry about getting pulled over

not true a l28et with a shave valve cover coulbe be pass as stock. but cops here LOOK for IC intake the basic stuff. most cops wont know since it say nissan and stuff. as long as theres nothing flashy. and IC yes you can see since it glows

sorry poor choice of words. when i say glow i mean it attracts attention.

iether way im really trying not to use one.

and curious what about the hy35 turbo? at 15psi with meth?

and im looking for around 350whp as started wwhat power will the hy35 yield at 15 psi with supporting mods? ae:fuel/ms/intake/exhuast etc.

and with the hy35 do you guys think i would be losing some hp since it wont be intercooled? if so about how much do you guys think?

I am pretty sure the CA cops are more concerned with the more modern cars with younger drivers and obnoxious exhausts, way too low stance, flashy paint, flashy wheels and flashy body kits. Easy targets, that stick out and cops "do profile" (unfortunately).

The Z being such an old car and really classic car, will draw very little if any attention unless you are bringing attention to yourself with say aggressive driving -or- in a convoy of flashy cars, where they will pull everyone over and check over each car carefully.

If you are worried about an intercooler what about exhaust, I am sure having a L28ET on your car it has a louder and larger diameter exhaust?

If your car is a '75 or earlier, you have even less to worry about.

As mentioned by Vintage you can spray paint or powder coat it black to make it less conspicuous.

With the heat of California, I would NEVER run a turbo car without an intercooler.

Bo..car is looking great as usual!

Yasin

I would also like to mention the usually overlooked water to air i/c. When done right they can be very effective and same water coolers would be easier to hide....you could even mount them in the fender wells behind the wheels with rock gaurds. Corky bell's book has some good examples.

I am pretty sure the CA cops are more concerned with the more modern cars with younger drivers and obnoxious exhausts, way too low stance, flashy paint, flashy wheels and flashy body kits. Easy targets, that stick out and cops "do profile" (unfortunately).

The Z being such an old car and really classic car, will draw very little if any attention unless you are bringing attention to yourself with say aggressive driving -or- in a convoy of flashy cars, where they will pull everyone over and check over each car carefully.

If you are worried about an intercooler what about exhaust, I am sure having a L28ET on your car it has a louder and larger diameter exhaust?

If your car is a '75 or earlier, you have even less to worry about.

As mentioned by Vintage you can spray paint or powder coat it black to make it less conspicuous.

With the heat of California, I would NEVER run a turbo car without an intercooler.

Bo..car is looking great as usual!

Yasin

yes i do understand what your saying. thats why i like to keep it as low profile as possible. and reguarding exhuast-i plan to run an electric cutout close when cruising and open when i want it.

mk3 intercooler sucks ass IMO i have run them in my mk3 and cheap ebay IC beats them easy.(to much heat soak.)

and i was under the impression that when you spray an IC it wont be as effecient in cooling?

and lastly water to air IC is nice but weights more than air to air.

Um, maybe I'm just completely out of the loop, but since a 240 should be pre-75, you aren't driving an emissions controlled vehicle, and thus by *my* understanding of CARB regulations should be exempt from having to worry about inspections, since it doesn't matter if you have non-CARB approved parts on the car, since you don't fall under CARB jurisdiction anyways....

Unless I'm completely off base, in which case, someone let me know :o

(In other words, I'm thinking that you have to follow federal smog stuff, which should just be cat + muffler, but you shouldn't have to follow CA stuff, which is what the under hood inspections are all about).

Also, cops that I've talked to about under hood inspections (which I've had), have told me that it often has more to do with looking for contraband rather than what engine/engine mods you have.

Um, maybe I'm just completely out of the loop, but since a 240 should be pre-75, you aren't driving an emissions controlled vehicle, and thus by *my* understanding of CARB regulations should be exempt from having to worry about inspections, since it doesn't matter if you have non-CARB approved parts on the car, since you don't fall under CARB jurisdiction anyways....

Unless I'm completely off base, in which case, someone let me know :o

(In other words, I'm thinking that you have to follow federal smog stuff, which should just be cat + muffler, but you shouldn't have to follow CA stuff, which is what the under hood inspections are all about).

Also, cops that I've talked to about under hood inspections (which I've had), have told me that it often has more to do with looking for contraband rather than what engine/engine mods you have.

pre 75 is smog exempt, but not legal to have illegal mods, its just easier to get away with, I have seen many many many cars get hoods popped in search of illegal mods. At HIN this year the cops were at the entrance on foot stopping cars at random looking for mods, A friend of mine got 7 fix it tickets at once.

In the end you have to pay to play.

Yes, you can run meth instead of an IC to cool the charge. However, you are solely dependent on the methanol for intake charge cooling and you also need to tune for the meth. Unless you have a failsafe in place, you'll pop your motor if you lose meth while under high boost.

MJ, what is HIN? Also, were the cars that were stopped pre-1975 or even pre-1980?

At the Japanese Classic Car Show this year, Irvine PD was walking around the facility as well as providing traffic control outside. All of them were pretty cool and just enjoying the show.