HybridZ

Swapping My LS1 into another Z!

Thanks Joe for the links.

Adam I hope ot have something for you guys within the next few weeks. It should be painted in a week or two. I am going to the body shop this weekend to go take a look. I am going to borrow a friends Z to use for track day in June so I don't have to rush to get this car back together.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in the paint section but thought it should be here also in this thread. The plan is....well.....put her back together!! Glad I got the motor back in first before I painted it. I have to pull the LS6 intake and TB off for Paul (Braap) and I need to swap pulleys. After that, let the wiring begin! Yay! :flamedevi

Man does it look better than I thought it would. :mrgreen:

One slight oops taking the car off the trailer, front wheels rub the corner of the fender...made a slight bend in the pasn side fender...easy fix. The fender needs to be trimmed some more. That will take place once I get the front air dam on and more test fitting. Bad dog frame rails were welded on and lots of welding of new sheet metal. So "new" rust free fenders were used in the fronts and tabco was used in the rear to fix that mess I had. Enough of me talking....some pics!

Just getting back to NY:

563877695_7RYfK-M.jpg

Front View:

563877154_mzetn-M.jpg

Rear View:

563878541_47dDK-M.jpg

Rear Pasnside:

563878120_6v2pH-M.jpg

Rear Driverside

563876425_vzf2T-M.jpg

@ the house:

563879887_SiysG-M.jpg

As far as the rear, the ride height will be lowered....so I will post some pics once I get the flares mounted

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I owe you guys some pics.

Car has now been pushed into the corner or Joe's garage but IS being worked on. As of last night, door panels are back on, door seals and quarter windows. Also made a new hole in the firewall to start dealing with the wiring nightmare to follow. Also took the head light units apart to sand blast them and painted them flat black...also blacked out the trim ring which looks great! Joe did me a huge favor and got the wiper motor back in the car (under the cowl). I ordered a few parts from Nissan and waiting for them to come.

I am planning on having a hood and hatch painted for now since I really want to drive this thing in a few weeks. CF part are expensive :lol: I will change to them down the road.

Today I purchased a relay kit for the head lights and marker lights that way I don't burn up my combo switch. Also going to order rear wheel bearings and prep my extra set up 280 stubs to be installed. I want to double check what I did two years ago. I hope to have the car started in lets say a month.

Joe laughing at my harness nightmare:

598297124_zm8gv-M.jpg

But by the end of the night:

598296523_SdF8E-M.jpg

Top right is the factory harness that has been stripped of unused wires and re-taped. The grommet you see there is a zx harness cut down to size and looks great imo. The hole to the left was made by me to put the LS1 harness through. Tomorrow will finish up that grommet job.

Harnesses in the bay:

598296777_akCQp-M.jpg

Where she sleeps until started again:

598297363_uHDiS-M.jpg

since the gearbox doesn't line up correctly, what do you plan to do?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I always wanted to know.

I just plan to trim the tunnel opening forward, not that big of a deal. Will take a pic when I get to that stage.

lookin good man!

I know the feeling of having to move a million cars to work on the Z...lol These Indy driveways are a tad thin...

And actually you are only seeing half of the cars that need to be moved. There is also a black pearl in the garage then the G35 and the wifes car that need to be moved to clear a work area for Clive's car.

Tonight, when the dash and dash harness come out of the basement to be installed, I'll be behind the camera to show the man himself in action!

Joe

That's just too bad....there's gotta be only like 60 combined horsepower in that garage ;)

That's why Clive has his head all down in that engine bay; he is searching for where all of his power went.

Lol, I need to swap the lsx out for a l28et ;)

Funny how the little things take up so much time. Anyway today was able to remove the old crank pulley (you need a 3-arm puller to remove it) and installed the UD pulley. A note on that, the stock GM pulley has no key way on it but the UD pulley does...don't worry about it, you can install the UD pull as is. I used the old crank pulley to tap on the new pulley and finally used the bolt to draw it in the rest of the way.

I am now cleaning up the heater core box so I can install it before the dash goes back in. I have a new water valve and need to order hoses and paint it. Also thinking of upgrading to the Honda blower motor...any feelings about that?

Small updated pic from last night:

604810333_86CbK-L.jpg