HybridZ

No Power Inside the car when Key is turned

Gostlrs

Well my car has been down due to a crank shaft pulley that cracked. been sitting about 2 months. i put it all back together today and when i tried to start it the car went nuts.

the gauges and clock turns on. but when i would turn the key over it would not crank and i could hear clicking noise under the glove box. the clock would also reset like the battery was disconnected. after a few times of that...it started doing nothing now. turn the key and not one thing turns on in the car. like there is not battery hooked up.

i checked power at the starter and alt and i got 12.5 volts both places. lights work fine. radio dead. dome lights fine

only thing electrically removed is the power mirrors and that should have nothing to do with it...

did my ignition take a crap? what can i shoot next to see what the problem is?

1983 ZX Auto N/A

Ok..got out there and shot the power in the car and there was nothing, since i was getting power at the alt and starter i knew the battery was good, i ended up finding a broken wire under the dash, i guess when i had my son help me remove some interior parts he must of yank and pulled the wire out..

ok so thats fixed..

now when i try to start it.. cranks and i get the sensor light on the dash. now i need to see what that is.. off to the search function...

if i did not put the distributor back on right and it moved during the time it was off can this cause it not to start? i pulled off the wire going to the coil and a spark jumps over to the coil.

i had the oil pump out and the distributor while it was down to fix the crank

Taking the oil pump out your probably dropped the shaft down and didnt get it back in the same place. There are a few problems with this, there is only about 30 deg of adjustment in the dissy at the top. So this can take a few steps. First you need to see where the button is pointing while your at TDC of #1 Cyl.

There are a few ways of checking for TDC (Top Dead Center) of the #1 cylinder, one way is to bump the engine, and look through the oil fill hole, look at the #1 cam lobes, (may be hard to see) watch till they are at the 10 and 2 position. Look then at the timing marks on the crank. Try and get it close to 0. Then remove the distributor, and where the button is pointing at is firing for cyl #1. Then just put the spark plugs in order (counter clockswise direction the actual firing order) 1-5-3-6-2-4

Another way to find TDC is to remove the spark plug in #1 and put your finger over the hole, crank the engine till you feel the pressure blowing out then align the crank to 0. Then look where the button is pointing to.

Suggest while doing either that you remove the plug wire from the ignitor to the distributor so you will not get surprised.

Now when you get to setting the timing, if you cant get enough rotation on the distributor to set the timing correctly, YOU WILL have to

drop the oil pump again, slide the shaft down, and rotate it to another tooth. Then try and check the timing again (as above getting #1 lined up again) *Have somebody help you by marking the button before dropping the shaft, and rotating the button while you push the shaft back up into the distributor.

I have done this more than once ... so dont feel bad.

Then, when you are sure thats right, get a timing light and get the timing set correctly.

if i did not put the distributor back on right and it moved during the time it was off can this cause it not to start? i pulled off the wire going to the coil and a spark jumps over to the coil.

i had the oil pump out and the distributor while it was down to fix the crank