HybridZ

15" Turbo Wheels and Max "ZX" rear tire Size

I'm planning on having my rear rims (Turbo) widened from 6" to 7 1/2". I'm looking at Weldcraft in Plymouth, Michigan to do the work and have a couple of questions for someone who might have already been down this road. Firstly, does anyone have any experience with Weldcraft, good or bad, and secondly how much room do I have in the rear wheel well using the stock suspension geometry. I would like to use BF Goodrich Radial TA 255X70s, but 235X70 would also work O.K. I've read a number of posts over the years but haven't been able to find any this time around that specifically address my questions/issues. Appreciate any help..

Thanx

Dan

I am running 235/60/14's on 7" 0 offset Western Cyclone II's on my '83ZXT with no problems.

You might have a problem w'70 series on the 15" rims because of diameter.

My buddy runs 225/50/15's w/no problems on his '82.

I'd stick to somewhere close to stock diameter for the tires.

Appreciate the response. The 235s will fit without issue, but the 255s are another 1" plus taller putting them 3+ inches larger in diameter over stock... I have a set of 275/60X15 on the rear of a 40 Ford Pick-up and would have preferred the 70 series if available. I can make up a jig using plywood to measure all dimensions, but was hoping someone had already been there...

I am running a 265/35/18(25.6" tall tire I believe) on the rear of my ZX. I have it lowered using Tokico lowering sprrings (3/4" to 1"....can't remember). No rubbing at all. The offset of my rims is +35mm and I am using a 20mm spacer. When I ran a 275/35/18 it rubbed, so 265 is the max if you ask me.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

80LT-1

Appreciate your response. By the way, your car is looking great.. I've watched your posts and you've done a nice job on the conversion..

Sent the wheels to have them widened 1 1/2" and plan on starting with the 235x70x15 to see how they look in terms of raising the rear end of the car. If it doesn't look disproportionate or funny-car-like I might go with the 255 70s which are another 1 taller. I also have the Eibach springs. Think mine are the "sport" version which does lower the car and inch or so. I have the Tokico Illuminas on the back and like the combination and ability to adjust the shocks...