HybridZ

SPAL Power Window Kit

240hoke

Hey Guys,

I recently got a SPAL power window kit for my car and just got around to installing them yesterday. I was going to do a writeup but these things were soooooo easy to install Im just gonna post a few pictures and a vid to show how well they work. I have yet to run the wiring for the switches but i have tested them with a battery. Ill be running the wiring under the dash to a pair of switches in the console.

Here is my Big Phil style Spal Advertisement video, the battery I was using was probably also around 10 volts so they will more then likely run faster when i have them wired up.

Motor Assembly

DSC_0007_Medium.jpg

To motor can be rotate on the transmission and is connected through a cush drive.

DSC_0010_Medium.jpg

The assembly mounts with these tab that can be places in numourous spots on the transmission, I used self tapping screws to secure it. I will trim the bracket down later.

DSC_0016_Medium.jpg

Side view showing clearance, I havent tested but it look like they should clear the door panels just fine...now I just have o get around to making a set!

DSC_0018_Medium.jpg

These kits are available from SPAL directly for 180 dollars, if you buy the switches from them (which I recommend) its another 25 bucks.

http://www.spalusa.com/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool. I appreciate the idea, but the only benefit seems to be not having to crank... well, and having more room for speakers.

Someone else posted nearly a year ago their install of some factory power window installations. True, they came from junkyard cars, basically; but there was a significant weight loss, too. I can't remember who it was but I have it bookmarked at home.

I kinda would have expected you to go the weight loss route, Austin.

I saw that and actually have it bookmarked, I never saw the finished product though and It looked like quite a bit of fab work. I like the fact that these are really easy to install and even remove if nessecary. I also really didnt want to mess with the factory regulators as they work great as they are. I know SPAL quality is good and I can get parts quick if need be.

Add to that I would say these units weight a total of MAYBE 4 lbs. As for why you may want to go with power? The entire purpose of my car is to build a nice Daily Driveable car that i can go to the track with every once in a while...with harnesses its impossible to reach the passenger windows, so pulling off and unbuckling is mandatory, that is the main reason I choose to go to power.

austin, do you think these will clear the stock door panels? where are you planning on mounting the switches-console? they look great, you got me thinking to upgrade my z as well. especially when i'm driving and...have to unbuckle to reach the pass window [argh].

Add to that I would say these units weight a total of MAYBE 4 lbs. As for why you may want to go with power? The entire purpose of my car is to build a nice Daily Driveable car that i can go to the track with every once in a while...with harnesses its impossible to reach the passenger windows, so pulling off and unbuckling is mandatory, that is the main reason I choose to go to power.

Another upgrade I have to look into along with the Honda wiper motor. Undoing the harness has become a real PITA, so the power windows would be nice. As David said I wonder if it will fit under stock panels and I guess I can have something made to cover the crank where the handle would be. Maybe a slid on billet part with a Z engraved and as the windows go up and down...it spins!! LOL

Another upgrade I have to look into along with the Honda wiper motor. Undoing the harness has become a real PITA, so the power windows would be nice. As David said I wonder if it will fit under stock panels and I guess I can have something made to cover the crank where the handle would be. Maybe a slid on billet part with a Z engraved and as the windows go up and down...it spins!! LOL

StuProgs_hypnosis_spiral.gif

1 Fast Z - They *should* clear like I said I havent tested but as you can see from the side shout everything is pretty much flush just the thickness of the cables.

jtmny1999 - I believe that is the regular kit, I have the delux kit which is supposed to be stronger and quieter..idk

EvilC - The kit comes with an assortment of plugs to plug the hole in the door.

70z - Thanks for the link, cool how we mounted the motor in the same spot! And that gives me another idea power door locks while Im at it!

Looks like a pretty awesome kit!

According to the guys over on classicZcars, the stock door panels fit. You should only have to trim if you wanted to use the little plastic caps they provide to cover the old crank stub.

Edit: I looked on eBay for this kit, and I found the same exact setup (here) Austin used for $135 with shipping. There seller has 10, so there's enough out there to go around :P

The auction ends soon, but I'm guessing the seller will relist them. If not, the delux kit can be had in other auctions for $150 shipped.

Just a quick one. As I understand, it drives the shaft that the original window handle drove, correct? This shaft sticks out of the door panel at least a 1/4 inch. So as I understand it, you won't be able to have a flush plug over the door trim, it will have to stick out from the door trim a little. Is this correct?

If that is the case, that is the only thing I don't like with this kit.

EDIT: Just watched the video, they do seem to be pretty quick. Looks very tempting.