HybridZ

4bbl starting problems

raible89

I have a 4bbl set up, got everything hooked up, but im having a problem getting it to actually fire up. I been messing with the timing an every once in a while it will either back fire threw the carb or out the back, but not run. Im not sure how to get it up an going, any ideals? an if your in the sacramento area, i wouldnt mind having a lil help.

You have to have fuel and spark to fire up.

1. remove coil wire and have someone crank the engine while you move the end of the wire close to a metal ground to see the spark jumping consistenly.

2. If spark is ok, then check if you have fuel presure in to the carb. If you do, check the spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel. if dry, squirt a little fuel in the engine through the carb (only a little is needed.) Reset the air cleaner and crank the engine to start. if it fires up then you have a fuel problem. Maybe the floats in the carb are stock closed, or the acelerator pump is not injecting fuel. Of course ignition timming plays a role on getting the engine to fire up quickly and to run smoothly.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Place crank at 10 deg. btdc. Verify rotor pointing in vicinity of number one on dist cap. With coil wire close to a ground, rotate dist. housing clockwise and observe spark (key on) Zero in on spark point and tighten dist. You are now timed +/- a degree at 10 deg. btdc

Place crank at 10 deg. btdc. Verify rotor pointing in vicinity of number one on dist cap. With coil wire close to a ground, rotate dist. housing clockwise and observe spark (key on) Zero in on spark point and tighten dist. You are now timed +/- a degree at 10 deg. btdc

That's how I do it, but potentially the rotor could be some number of degrees away from the number one terminal on the distributor cap, enough to keep the engine from starting. You can be certain you're on the power stroke by pulling the #1 spark plug, putting your finger over the plug hole and then have a friend help by bumping the starter till you feel the piston pushing air out the hole. Once you feel that air pressure, simply crank the engine in direction of rotation till the timing marks are aligned as described above. If you're getting something running that has been torn down make sure the plug wires are installed correctly, double check the firing order. I suggest this because popping back thru the carb is a symptom of incorrect timing. Let us know if you get it fired up.

I have a 4bbl set up, got everything hooked up, but im having a problem getting it to actually fire up. I been messing with the timing an every once in a while it will either back fire threw the carb or out the back, but not run. Im not sure how to get it up an going, any ideals? an if your in the sacramento area, i wouldnt mind having a lil help.

I see this thread just got bumped. You still having this trouble? I had similar behavior before when I was trying to get my truck running after putting it back together and had the timing 180deg out. That will cause backfires and backfires through the carb, and can also appear to be timed properly if you have your wires mixed up.

I am in Citrus Heights too, btw.

(My profile says vacaville because I will be moving there in about 2 weeks)

You can be certain you're on the power stroke by pulling the #1 spark plug, putting your finger over the plug hole and then have a friend help by bumping the starter till you feel the piston pushing air out the hole. Once you feel that air pressure, simply crank the engine in direction of rotation till the timing marks are aligned as described above.

You can also put a piece of duct tape over the spark plug hole and turn the crank manually via the pulley bolt if you don't have an extra set of hands to help you out.