HybridZ

Compatible shifters for JATCO 3N71B Trans

TomoHawk

• 6 years later...

"aftermarket".....meaning "non-oem".

Since I have a bunch of 3n and 4n71b shifters and have used them on a variety of nissan cars, what I have found is that you will probably have to have a few different levers (tranny end) since every one of my shifters has a different lever length (from pivot point down to hole).

Some tranny end levers also have a different offset cut into them which changes the orientation.

On my M30 with 3n71b, I went through a bunch of levers from various jatco transmissions to match the throw on my stock M30 shifter and it's still off slightly.

I my case, I either have to extend the tranny side lever or drill a hole further up my shifter end lever.

thxZ for the information so far.

That's why I'm asking about the shifters & the Jatco transmission, to get an idea of what aftermarket shifter will work. Eventually, I'll assume my shifter will wear out, and by then there will be (how many?) oe units out there... So in the meantime, I can get an aftermarket and keep it with my stock of spares.

I doubt I'll get something like a B&M Quickshifter, but there ought to be something that will work and look period-correct.

The M30 uses the 3N71B? Hmmm..... (sourece of spares and new units!)

thxZ

It actually uses a RE4R01 tranny but I swapped the vg30 for a L28et with built 3n71b.

3n71b came with mazda RX-2 through RX-7 and then 4n71b took over.

I'm looking to build a bulletproof 4n71b from a RX-7, 300zx turbo or Starion (whichever has the 4 planet gearsets and more frictions) so I can run 4.10 and still get good mileage in overdrive with lockup.

Do you still need a special flexplate for the L28 engine for the 4N71B? Is that electric or hydraulic lockup? I was told you need the flexplate from an '83 Maxima, plus all the transmission wiring from the same car.

thxZ

The 1984 4n71b (L4n71b) are hydraulic lockup.

Anything that is E4n71b uses an electronic tranny controller.

The flexplate for the 4n71b is different than the flexplate for the 3n71b so, to fit most 4n71b to a L28, you would need a first generation maxima flexplate and bellhousing.

OK, so I can get a 1st gen. Maxima flexplate & belhousing now, and then get the matching e4N71B trans when ready for the upgrade? The problem is finding the parts. the flexplate and bellhousing might be cheap, but the best quote for an '83 Maxima 4N71B is about $400 ??

There was a detailed thread on this swap here before, but it seems to be gone now.

thxZ

The maxima version of the 4n71b is not nearly as strong as the z31 300zx turbo version or the mistubishi or RX-7 versions.

I would only take the bellhousing and flexplate from the maxima versions.

Also....I'm not sure on the convertor dimensions from V-6 applications to L6 applications. Probably the same but you never know.

The turbo cars had a higher stall speed convertor which made the car more peppy and didn't impact highway mileage since you would be in lockup anyway.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...