HybridZ

Order for restoration?

janaka

Well I'm not sure where to put this question to I guess it goes in the Misc. pile.

I'm looking at another Z for a project car for my wife (thats what I'm telling myself and her, makes me look like the good guy and not a money pit, lol)

Anyway its a shell of a car basically. All the rust has been dealt with (surface rust is present but it needs paint anyway) and the engine bay is stripped bare and as well as the interior. Other than needing a new hatch. The floors have been replaced as well which is a bonus.

I've never started from this point before so I'm wondering what the 'order' usually is for mod-restoration is?

What the tentative plan is for the car is a street corner carver. I would plan on a swap but I have access to many L6 motors so a stock motor may get thrown in so it can be driven once the suspension is where I want it to get it on the road for enjoyment. Down the road it would come out for a swap of something else.

What I had in my mind as a tentative progression would be the following order:

Suspension

- i have my mind 99% set of betamotorsports strut kit based on my searching.

-sway bars

-strut tower bars

-Adj LCA's

Rear end

-R200 w/3.90 gears (I think) and LSD

-CV upgrade

Brakes

-AZCar wilwoods up front

-Rear disk upgrade

-280zx master upgrade

Interior - (minimalistic)

-Nice seats

-CD player

-Autometer gauges

-Carpet

-Roll bar/cage (maybe at best)

Motor stuff

-Engine bay prime and coating

-L6/5psd of some sort (swap?)

Paint

Does that order seem correct? What order would you do the above in, or what order did you do yours in and what would you have changed if anything?

Wow sounds easy on paper . Who has the $20k or so to finance this that I can borrow? :P

With a car down this far your sequence may need some minor tweaking. How nice do you want this car to be ? Depending on your answer, your process will change slightly. Reinspect all previous metalwork for proper installation and fit. Fix any uncovered problems before proceeding any further. Trial fit new engine ,suspension related components. Paint and metalwork to the body shell (including engine compartment) should be completed before any parts are attached to the body. Door jambs should be edged and doors hung before installing dash.

Just finished up the LS1/260z conversion. I have pics posted of the progression we used to complete this car. Will be posting new pics of finished car in the next day or so. Link to pics at bottom of signature. Use Picasa and go to Greg's car.

• 3 weeks later...

There is still a lot of chassis work to do.

Electrical harness work is a BIG part of this project. It is central to a lot of different things you may be planning to add in the future. It really should be done with the dash removed and the electrical harness unwrapped on a bench.

You have; engine management, fuel pump, senders, gauges, power distribution, modernize the alternator/regulator system, repair or upgrade existing systems like the faulty fuse box and iffy lighting. How's that stalk switch and ignition wiring btw?

Plumbing is another system that is central to a lot of different parts of your project. It is easier to install with the driveline and suspension removed Then you can run new lines for fuel, brakes, oil, senders and adaptors, venting, fire suppression etc.

Don't forget about the exhaust system, That can cost a pretty penny when it is fully custom and clears the driveway apron.

nice thread!! im in Toronto and I am restoring a 240z as well. Right now its bare metal and I have sandblasted, rustproofed and painted the Car...Now I am going to tackle the wiring...I am pretty comfortable with wiring as it is what I do for a living (not automotive tho). I am unsure if I should ring out the present harness and use that or if I should buy those painless pre wired bundles with maybe a 12cct or maybe 18 circuit fuse box as i am thinking of putting keyless entry and alarm, plus you never know what you might add on later.What do you guys think?

What are the main problems with the factory wiring?

Janaka - I have spare doors (LH & RH), Hoods, Hatches etc!!!! let me know if interested.