chicostyle

Hye,

In advance sorry for my english, i'm french :roll:

I have a 260Z 2+2 with rotawheels in 17*9.5

dsc01571aq0.jpg

dsc01569ic1.jpg

I've decided to mod my L26

I bought a head from a race english car company "samuri" http://www.samuri.eu/

It's a E88 head E88 with 44mm inlet valves, 35mm exhaust valves and a combustion

chamber of 38cc.

After more and more reflection, i have two solutions:

Stock L26 with L24 pistons overbore 0.040 (+1mm) and "cut-outs" for the valves

after verification, It is going to be 2627cc with 10.74:1

or

L26 with L24 rods/crank and L28 flat top pistons (86mm)

It's going to be a "short stroke" engine for more RPM

2563cc with 10.56:1

but it's more expensive €€€€

A L28 in France is a difficult find, otherwise I would be on the block with L28

for this preparation.

What do you think?

Any input, suggestions w/e are appreciated!

If you de stroke your L26 with L24 crank and rods you will have a L24, no more no less and you can't install L28 pistons unless you have your block bored out, the L24/26 have a stock bore of 83 and L28 have a 86 m.m. bore.

What about searching after a 2.8 patrol engine it is also a L28, then you can de stroke it with L24 rods and crank.

Why a .040 over bore instead of .020 ?

If your L26 is the matching engine then you should stick with it and search after a L28, maybe there is some from europe having a container shipped from US or you can search ebay.de, they show up once in a while.

Chris

"An L24 and L26 block can be bored to a max of 86mm and an L28 to 89mm.

Pistons must not come out the top of the block more than .12mm or 5 thou."

Dave Jarman

You say: "Why a .040 over bore instead of .020 ?"

Just for more CC

Thanks for the ebay.de, I go directly for searching a L28.

Nice looking car!!! But I'd mount a bumper in the front, and paint the grille and the rear plate black. Perhaps also a bumper in the rear. ;) Just my personal opinion, no offense!

Is this going to be a high-rpm race-engine? If not, then I wouldn't change to shorter rods and a L24 crankshaft. What you gain in response and high-rpm power you loose in low end torque and street-driveability.

You haven't considered turbocharging? Just asking. That is by far the easiest way to get some serious power.

I am going the other way though, basically because it is hard to get the turbo-build approved in norway. :)

Nice looking car!!! But I'd mount a bumper in the front, and paint the grille and the rear plate black. Perhaps also a bumper in the rear. ;) Just my personal opinion, no offense!

Is this going to be a high-rpm race-engine? If not, then I wouldn't change to shorter rods and a L24 crankshaft. What you gain in response and high-rpm power you loose in low end torque and street-driveability.

You haven't considered turbocharging? Just asking. That is by far the easiest way to get some serious power.

I am going the other way though, basically because it is hard to get the turbo-build approved in norway. :)

I prefer a N/A preparation

I'don't like the turbocharching solution

I think choose the solution with Stock L26 with L24 pistons for the moment.

If I find a L28 later, I put his head above

why not just bore the engine you have to 86mm, and run a stock L28 crankshaft and stock L28 pistons?

The 2.8 geometry really is pretty well super... 2.8 liters with twin SUs or triple webers and electronic ignition is a GREAT motor to throw into a Z; it has logged billions of miles and who KNOWS how many smiles in the last 35+ years and proven its worth.

I understand the desire to do something less typical.. but sometimes going the tried and true method is simplest and wisest.

Guys, this is becoming a very rare car in europe, you have to remember that.

Do not bore that block, unless it is needed, i have the matching L24 and it is getting re build to stock and bored due to wear, i got it bored .020 over so there is plenty to go up a size if needed.

If you want more power, slap in another motor, but keep that matching one or your car will loose value.

Chris