HybridZ

My 1972 240z

Well first of all, im gonna say HI. My name is Justin, im 14 and i bought my 240z on the 10th of january and brought it back on the 11th to my house. My dad and I drove all the way to Denver from my town of Portales, NM to pick up this car. The drive between here and Denver is about 8 hours long and he drove both ways.

since i dont know who is using dial up, I am gonna post this link to flickr where all of the photos are. =]

DSCF0060

right now the diff is in the spare tire spot, and the seats are out and i cleaned the whole thing out and vacuumed it with a shopvac.

If you think i should put some photos on this page, just tell me. thanks.

also, i have a build page at 240z8.com. =]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Looks like you have your work cut out for you. BTW, I think your 240z is actually a late 260z or 75/76 280z.

Actually, the hatch, the dash, and the hood were taken off a 280z, and i have some extra doors of a 280z. I was confused when i saw 280z on the dash. I also saw that the emblems that were on the hatch were from a 280z. And the guy we bought it from said that the hood and extra doors were from a 280z. But the plate inside the driver door and the one in the engine compartment say it was made in December of 1971. And the title says that it is a 1972 240z.

Actually, the hatch, the dash, and the hood were taken off a 280z, and i have some extra doors of a 280z. I was confused when i saw 280z on the dash. I also saw that the emblems that were on the hatch were from a 280z. And the guy we bought it from said that the hood and extra doors were from a 280z. But the plate inside the driver door and the one in the engine compartment say it was made in December of 1971. And the title says that it is a 1972 240z.

260+ tail lights, 260+ bumper mount holes, 260+ steering wheel... Somethings REALLY fishy here if you've got plates reading '71. Check the VIN (stamped on the firewall above the brake booster) This one can't be swapped out. Good luck!

260+ tail lights, 260+ bumper mount holes, 260+ steering wheel... Somethings REALLY fishy here if you've got plates reading '71. Check the VIN (stamped on the firewall above the brake booster) This one can't be swapped out. Good luck!
280z tail panel too, and you could check the rear strut towers, lower rad support, no bumper indents, etc.

Sorry to say, but I think there's a reason it was only $200.

I think someone must have switched the vin plates on that car because it is definitely a late 260 or 280.

Late 260 or 280 aspects of this Car:

tail lights

rear roll pan

rear quarter panels

The whole interior

Front turn signals

and low front radiator support

The guy who sold it to you is either ignorant or full of it mate, sorry to tell ya.

He got it for $200 so for that price what do you expect? Not a bad deal imo.

ya its still a good deal, but Id still want to get the 240/280 bit cleared up if I a bought a 280 with vin plates swapped and was told it was a 240

ya its still a good deal, but Id still want to get the 240/280 bit cleared up if I a bought a 280 with vin plates swapped and was told it was a 240

Uh, yeah... especialy if the title is also calling it a '72 240. you may be driving around a jacked car there bud!! Most likely though someone at some time switching the plates to make the car more marketable. Get it cleared up before you invest all sorts of money/time in fixing it up.

post a photo of the doorjamb vin plate and the engine bay vin plate. The original rivets are not very easy to duplicate, and usually when this is done (seen it once or twice, we had a "72 240" with title that was actually a 78 280, ugh) they wind up getting screwed on, or at best attached with silly looking, oversized rivets. (the original ones have to be drilled out, so you are left with larger holes, hence, larger rivets.)

But if that is NOT a 280Z, then enough pieces have been cut and welded in that it may as well be. The fusebox is in the 74-78 position, and the seats are also later mounting style (and 75-76 seats if I am not mistaken); I don't believe anyone pointed that out.

ok, im just wondering, if the vin plates were switched, where should i look to see some sign of it?

Thanks a bunch =]

Compare vin on plates to vin stamped on the firewall above the brake booster. If they're different (they will be) then someone has switched the plates out.

Compare vin on plates to vin stamped on the firewall above the brake booster. If they're different (they will be) then someone has switched the plates out.

You say to compare with the vin on the firefall. Is this stamped into the sheetmetal of the firewall or are you talking about the vin plate on the dash just at the bottom of the windshield at the drivers side?