HybridZ

My 1972 240z

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the car is not stolen!! How do I get a new title in MY name? How do I get new vin badges for the dash and door jam that match the vin on the firewall?

What if there is a car out there driving around that has MY real Vin on their car?

Or should I just part out this car. Rear hatch is good, has after market air dam. Wheels are good for a few $$. Doors are ok, have 4 doors. :banghead:

Luckly only $200 in this so far!

BTW, the cop from friday that said there was a hidden vin, He was clueless. There is just the 4. Dash, door, wheelwell and firewall.

there is only the vin on the firewall, the one on the door, the one in the engine bay and the one on the engine....unlike most car company's datsun's only concern was to keep track of how many datsuns were sold i.e. the vin's are in order from when they left the factory...unlike old pontiacs like the lamons that had 8 vins(correct me if im wrong) stamped all in the body of the car....thats why its extremely difficult to do a gto conversion without everyone knowing....

Ok, the car is not stolen!! How do I get a new title in MY name? How do I get new vin badges for the dash and door jam that match the vin on the firewall?

What if there is a car out there driving around that has MY real Vin on their car?

Or should I just part out this car. Rear hatch is good, has after market air dam. Wheels are good for a few $$. Doors are ok, have 4 doors. :banghead:

Luckly only $200 in this so far!

BTW, the cop from friday that said there was a hidden vin, He was clueless. There is just the 4. Dash, door, wheelwell and firewall.

you can contact z connection (they are on ebay) he has all the vin plates that you need but you'll have to buy the stamper to stamp your vin into them or find someone who can do it

oh and you could get 200 hundred out of your car easily...the scrapyard may even pay you that much...

you can contact z connection (they are on ebay) he has all the vin plates that you need but you'll have to buy the stamper to stamp your vin into them or find someone who can do it

oh and you could get 200 hundred out of your car easily...the scrapyard may even pay you that much...

tried to find z connection on ebay, no go! tried no space, a -, nothing. ideas, link to seller

Vin is only in FOUR places:

1. DASH

2. DOOR JAM

3. FIREWALL

4. TITLE

* The data plate on the inner pasn fender will tell you the engine #.

In this case, title being a 240z and you getting a 280z I would want the money back and have him come and get the car. If it was a 240z just with the wrong vin and it came back clean then I would keep it. You can always not have the door jam plate on and make a new dash plate. I know some of you are thinking I am crazy but if everyone went out and looked to make sure all 4 numbers matched...I bet maybe 3 may come back finding out this isn't the case.

There are plenty of people you can trust and this guy sounds like he knew the title and vin was no good. Hope you get the money back, sure you will.

Vin is only in FOUR places:

1. DASH

2. DOOR JAM

3. FIREWALL

4. TITLE

* The data plate on the inner pasn fender will tell you the engine #.

In this case, title being a 240z and you getting a 280z I would want the money back and have him come and get the car. If it was a 240z just with the wrong vin and it came back clean then I would keep it. You can always not have the door jam plate on and make a new dash plate. I know some of you are thinking I am crazy but if everyone went out and looked to make sure all 4 numbers matched...I bet maybe 3 may come back finding out this isn't the case.

There are plenty of people you can trust and this guy sounds like he knew the title and vin was no good. Hope you get the money back, sure you will.

Updates.

As for the confrontation, not yet. We are waiting for the full police report to come back. This week sometime hopefully.

My Dad said he will contact the guy in Denver soon. Tell him to return our $200. And he can come get the car. I doubt he would come get it. All the better, my money back and a car to part out. As for the money, it is only $200. Not worth it to get to far into getting it back but I can still part out a few things and get most if not all of the money back. Then just cut up the car into pieces and sell as scrap to a wrecking yard. An email requesting it back and maybe a phone call or 2. If that does not work my dad will be contacting the Denver PD and informing them about the full car scam. He will provide them with Name, phone and address of this fool. Also let then know that this person is driving an 80's era camero that is not titled or insured.

I just wonder, IS THERE A CAR with my VIN driving around Denver now???

More to come.

I do have 4 other z's locally to look at.

1 280z that has sat for 12 years on a trailer. Rust minimal, interior trashed, open to weather. Roof looks like someone stood on it. Maybe fixable. Title ????, around $200.

1 a 1976 280z 2+2, very rough has motor and standard tranny, $125, no title, parts car.

1 is a 280z purchased 5 months ago by a person. sat outside their shop since, 3 flats, needs interior. rust minimal. Title yes, maybe $500-$700.

1 260z, in wrecking yard, was towed there 3 years ago, driver that towed died right after the tow and the owner of car is unknown. Body good, minimal rust. Needs interior. Need to do a title search and a registration search. Possible price free - $500. Title if I can find owner ????. Unknown if wrecking yard would charge for it sitting in the back lot for the last 3 years.

I feel like I am in a soap opera with my first car. I guess most soap operas have good endings! LOL

• 1 month later...

Update!

We talked to the guy who sold us the 240z/280z! He has deposited $100 to my account, half of what we paid for the car and we keep the car for parts. All in All, I think we will make out. There are lots of parts that are good.

Update!

We talked to the guy who sold us the 240z/280z! He has deposited $100 to my account, half of what we paid for the car and we keep the car for parts. All in All, I think we will make out. There are lots of parts that are good.

Hey, thats awesome!!! An apology with a dollar sign, regardless of the value, is a huge thing; this guy could have let it fester and its great to know that not only do you guys have two cars that should make one really nice one, but that the initial bad blood worked out positively on all fronts in the end.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the seller in question would be me. I suspected something was amiss, but after getting a certified vin check by Denver PD, they said the VINs checked out, and i got it registered. I didn't think anything of it. I was rather surprised when I got the call a few weeks after selling it, and, as the reason for selling was that I was moving and wouldn't have a garage anymore, was happy to agree to repayment of half and have everybody cut their losses. I hate it as much as the next guy when a deal goes sour, and hope everybody's happy.

I'm glad you guys worked it out. If you're going to keep the car, justin, you'll need to get the other plates to match the one stamped into the body. it's a pain, I know, but it's how to do it, it doesn't matter if the plates aren't original, it only matters that they match the body, and that that matches the title. Keep a copy of the police report, since that's your protection should you decide to sell it, or even part it out. You should be able to get registered on the Body stamped vin if it matches your title. Rolling Chassis only req 1 VIN. The other parts are legal unless those parts came off a stolen car. so I'd assume the cops checked Both vins and found them ok.

If someone is driving around w/ your VIN, having talked to the cops already is also your protection, tho again it's the body/chassis vin that really matters in this case.

Phar