HybridZ

coldest day of the year and the water pump goes out...

newby92

so i wake up an hour early this morning to go out and clean off the car and warm it up before heading to class, everything is going according to plan. i jump in the car and start heading to school in the -8 below temps and half way to school i notice the z is running a little warmer than usual. i think this is odd as it is soooo cold outside, but i continue on. then a little while later i notice it is 3/4 of the way to 270 mark on the temp gauge. i pull it into the gas station and shut it down. i popped the hood, felt the radiator and its hot, as well as the upper radiator house so i know the thermostat is working. the belt isnt slipping on the water pump so im left with assuming its the pump itself. it never fails, i just got the car in daily driving condition and this happens. i guess it wasnt daily ready just yet.

Gotta love how things always break at the worst possible times. My e30's alt crapped out on me 2 weeks ago and the heater core began leaking yesterday, so now I have no heat when I actually really need it. Too bad things can't break when it's warmer outside.

On the contrary. In terms of radiators, I'd rather have it break on a cold day so my car would have a better chance of surviving! When I first got my Z in cali, my friend borrowed it and rear ended someone, cracking the radiator core. As I still needed to drive to work and had no money for a new radiator, I kept a stockpile of water jugs and stopleak in the trunk. This all occured in late summer/ early fall, so I was praying for a cold day so my engine wouldn't overheat. Those times sucked...

Not to say that anything breaking at a certain time is really better than the other, but you know... Murphy's Law...

nope i know the heater core is good because i just replaced last week. i went through three different cores from parts cores from parts cars before i finally just yanked the one out of my dads car. his is on blocks totally stripped any way so he wont be needing it for a while. :-D