HybridZ

180 degree headers

150plusZ

• Administrators

To further Challengers point, I am going to assume that you are talking about a V-8 engine as 180 degree headers can only apply to a V-8. :wink:

Not much gain over what a quality standard header would deliver. On a 400 HP small block, 180 degree headers “can” be worth as much as 10-20 HP, but that is taking the painstaking time to finely tune the AFR and ignition timing perfectly, only after knowing for sure that your components such as heads, cam, intake, carb, comp ratio, etc are perfectly matched. In other words, if you have the budget of a small NASCAR privateer team, then the power gains the 180 degree headers would afford in exhaust tuning for approx 20 more HP, might be worth it. Otherwise, for us street oriented car guys with realistic family budgets, 180 degrees are more for WOW factor and to alter that rumble rumble exhaust note to a smoother crisper cracking exhaust note. Any HP gains that the 180 degrees header “could” deliver may not even be realized. Also, 180 degree headers expose more heat to the engine bay, and to the oil/engine if they are the “under the pan cross-under” variety.

• Administrators

If you really want to geek-out on the different sound a V-8 can produce with a 180 degree crank, (I think we touched lightly on the 180 degree headers), check out this thread… Regarding that topic, as far as I am aware, is the most indepth thread publicly accessible anywhere on the web. :2thumbs:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139545

• 2 years later...

Digging up an old thread here, but I came across this as I was looking up v6 exhaust design. I don't speak Chinese so I have no idea what it's about but the car does sound good. Better than any Fiero I ever heard. Since v6's have different firing orders and less cylinders, how would you tune the headers to sound similar to what a flat plane crank or 180 degree headers emulate–that high crisp rev sound? Would it be a matter of equal length tubes?

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/ferrari-owner/article?mid=9902