HybridZ

My Twin-Turbo SBC 240Z Build

Sometime back in 2004, after seeing Siliconeboy’s turbo project in process http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=89810 , I got inspired to do a Twin Turbo set-up in my 350 Chevy powered 240Z. It didn’t take to long to find the Corvette manifolds and a pair of T3/T4 (.60/.63) from Ford Turbocoupes (inspired by Mike Sitar’s “toohighpsi” Capri http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

turbo_100_0251.jpg

turbo_100_0253.jpg

turbo_100_0256.jpg

These items sat in my garage collecting dust for the next 4 years :-)

So, last spring I decided it was finally time to get this project in gear. I started by installing an intercooler and relocating the surge tank I was using to supply the Holley Commander EFI system.

turbo_100_0239.jpg

I built an air hat using the tank from a “pancake” style air compressor that I had burned up the motor on.

pancake_compressor.gif

Since I wanted to keep the car on the road for the summer, I ran the air hat and intercooler on the NA engine… that got some interesting comments from people peeking under the hood. I jokingly told them that it was a high-tech cold air intake system.

turbo_100_0247.jpg

Around September of this year I parked the car in my shop and got busy building. Lots of stuff had to be relocated to make room and to avoid heat issues. Fuel lines, brake lines, and wiring was re-routed. I moved the battery to the back of the car and used the spaced to mount a bunch of other stuff where it would be out of the way (fuel filter, relays, 2-BAR MAP sensor, coolant overflow tank, Wide-Band O2 sensor module)

I fabbed up the manifolds (thanks again to Siliconeboy for the idea)

turbo_100_0611.jpg

turbo_100_0830.jpg

Did some fit checks.

Built the down-pipes, cold side, etc

turbo_100_0609.jpg

turbo_100_0607.jpg

It’s now all together, (as of today) but I haven’t fired it up yet. Hopefully this weekend.

turbo_100_0932.jpg

turbo_100_0933.jpg

turbo_100_0934.jpg

turbo_100_0935.jpg

turbo_100_0936.jpg

turbo_100_0939.jpg

And, it all fits under the hood J

turbo_100_0931.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats sweet! Super clean setup. How much power are you thinking?

Thanks for the compliments. I plan to keep it fairly tame (at least at first). The engine really isn't built for boost. It's a 2-bolt block w/ cast crank and hyper-eutectic (sp?) pistons (9.5 CR). I would like to hit 400 rwhp, which I figure I can get with around 6 psi boost. Next winter I plan to build a motor that can take 10 or 12 PSI (forged internals, 4-bolt, etc)

BTW, this is stictly a street machine.

Extremely innovative DIY, yet very nice looking at the same time. I like the route you took to complete this set up. I'm at the "parts-are-collecting-dust" time of my own build. It looks like you knocked this out in a very reasonable amount of time. Your hard work certainly paid off. Please blow a piston...for me ;)

Davy

Wow, you guys are too kind :-) and not one person asking "Why do you need more power??"

This site is great!

That's pretty damn cool. Probably the only car I've ever seen where the turbos were placed more or less above the engine.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the fit before I started, so I did a fit check using 3D CAD first. I knew it had been done before, but to be sure... (images from ProE)

turbo_CAD_1.jpg

turbo_CAD_2.jpg

turbo_CAD_3.jpg

turbo_CAD_4.jpg

And what color blue is your Z? looks like mine probably would if it hadn't faded over the years.

The outside color is close to stock (the engine bay is the original paint) I remember going thru color samples at the paint store looking for a close match. It is actually a mix for an AMC blue. Delstar DAR14025 is the color code. It was painted over 15 years ago (d*mn, I must be getting old )