HybridZ

Would YOU buy this shell?

iBang

I suppose this is going to be my first post... so let me start with a little background...

I've been planning on building a RB25 powered S30 Z for a while now. I've worked with the engine before on my 240SX project and I love it. The right engine for the right price came along recently so now I'm looking for the right home for it. I've found someone who has a pair of 280's, a coupe and a 2x2. The 2x2 is solely a parts car however the other could possible be saved. I'm looking for a project and am not worried about getting down and dirty with my welder, however all of my former projects have been modern cars without any real fear of chronic rust problems, so I am not a good judge of how far gone a Z is, especially from pictures alone. These cars are a 5-6hr drive from me so if I do go pick them up, it will be a pretty sure thing that they are coming home with me. I DONT want to just go and look at them.

With the background out of the way, here's the pictures I've been provided:

280-1.jpg

280-2.jpg

2x2-01.jpg

2x2-02.jpg

I would not be interested in the 2x2 but since it is $100, it might be worth getting for the parts that are missing and bent up on the other car. The silver car is $500, which from my quick research isn't bad, but isn't great either.

Now, can anyone tell if this car is in reasonble condition where heavy rust is concerned? Just for the coupe, not the 2x2.

What I'm looking for is a car that is in bad shape cosmetically both interior and exterior, but with a solid chassis to work with.

Not worth $500!!!!!

Honestly. Then consider the cost to drive there and back.

Ask about rust in the rockers, batter tray area, floor pans, under the rear hatch, behind the rear wheels. Do they run? Even have engines? If it has an engine that is in as good of condition as the rest of the car, Id offer him $250... generosity.

I would definately not pay $500 for that car. You could use the parts from the 2+2 that are damaged on the silver car, but if the outside is that rusty theres no telling how much there is inside.

If you really are willing to drive 5-6 hours away, I see 'decent' Zs for a couple of hundred dollars with running motors in them in Oklahoma City on Craigslist.

Maybe get some pictures of common rust areas. Check under the hatch, the floor pans [passenger is usually more rusty], The doglegs [the area after the door and in front of the back wheel at the bottom] and battery tray. Those are the most common spots.

*edit* Dang it Challenger you beat me ;)

Mmm, thats pretty much what I thought. When speaking to the owner I was told that the cars had been at another location an hour away for several years and that they had just stopped by, shot the pictures, and put them up. The rust in critical areas (I asked about all the above since I've been doing my homework) was unknown.

I think I'm going to turn this set down. I'd rather get one closer to me anyway.

I wish I had pics of the one I saw yesterday asking $500... with no roof or anything above the doors aft of the windshield except for a monstrosity of a fiberglass attempt at a custom fastback. What a waste of a good Z :(

I wouldn't use the silver car as the base for your project. Too much collision damage and it looks like it might be a rusty mess underneath. The 2+2 is obviously much further advanced.

Like they said, wait to find a good chassis that's solid and straight. You'll be glad you did.

That's the plan. I want to build this car to last me a long time, so I want to do it right the first time. I don't want to spend more than 1k for the non-running shell though as I already expect that this project will cost 10k to get the car to where I can drive it, 20k to get it beautiful, and more to get it the way I would love to do it to.

Thanks for the quick advice! I just wanted to be sure that people with more first hand knowledge than me agreed with my snap judgment.

Take a road trip. What does it really cost other than some time and gas. You never now until you see it first hand.

The 260 I just bought, the guy was asking 500. I brought it home for 75. Granted, it's rusted to hell and back, but there are gobs of parts worth much more than the 75 + 43 tow dolly and the tank of gas I burned, 23.

He may be in a crunch to move them as my guy was.

It is supposed to have rust unfortunately. I would take the drive if it was closer just to try and get them cheeeeeap for parts, but there's no promise of that and right now I only have the money to get a shell to start working on. Later I'm sure I'll be doing deals like that, but I usually just work one at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently sold an early '74 rolling shell that was practically rust free for $500. It had no interior except a very good center console, decent dash w/ gauges, and poor inner door panels. It had no engine or tranny but an R200 diff with half shafts, mustache bar, and drive shaft were included as were four aluminum wheels that need refinishing. All glass was included.

You can do way better than those for $500.