HybridZ

L6 maxima

PR280z

If you search hard enough on this site you'll find info about the L24E in the Maxima and 810. Since you said it was a Maxima ('81-'84), and assuming it's a gas engine, then it will have the weaker L24E with the small rod ends. Not very desirable at all. The only gas engined Maxima parts of interest to the Z community are the cylinder heads because they have a small combustion chamber with good quench characteristics.

If it's an earlier 810 ('77-'80), then the engine rotating assembly is basically exactly the same as the 240Z, right down to the strong 9mm bolt type connecting rods. The big difference though, is the oil pan, oil pickup tube and dipstick location. The L24E's are front sump, so unless you do some drilling and other modifications, the engine will not bolt into a rear sump Z chassis (or just hack, beat, and mangle like the previous owner of my Z did when he put an L24E in my Z).

If it's an LD28 diesel Maxima ('82-'83), then there are quite a few desireable parts aside from just the crankshaft (as long as you find the right buying audience). There is another forum on the 'net that deals entirely with Nissan diesel engines and there are certain parts that are very hard to come by for them.

There's also another separate forum on the 'net that has an active subsection that deals exclusively with the first and second generation Maximas. You just have to delve deep enough into google.

There was a narrow window of production years for the maxima (82-83ish? maybe 84?) that had a bolt-on bracket for the rear disc brake caliper. IF that bracket is bolted on (not welded) then the bracket can be used to bolt rear discs from a 280ZX (82-83) directly onto the back of an S30 Zcar. I can't recall what the production date was on the ONE CAR i have found that actually had the bolt on ones, but i want to say it was an 83.

Thats about the only other bit I can think of.

• 1 month later...
There was a narrow window of production years for the maxima (82-83ish? maybe 84?) that had a bolt-on bracket for the rear disc brake caliper. IF that bracket is bolted on (not welded) then the bracket can be used to bolt rear discs from a 280ZX (82-83) directly onto the back of an S30 Zcar. I can't recall what the production date was on the ONE CAR i have found that actually had the bolt on ones, but i want to say it was an 83.

Thats about the only other bit I can think of.

I hear of a lot of peolpe finding these weld on brackets instead of the bolt on type, how come no one has used a cordless grinder to remove them?

There was a narrow window of production years for the maxima (82-83ish? maybe 84?) that had a bolt-on bracket for the rear disc brake caliper.

I believe that was the first year of that particular body style. 1981 only. 1982+ they switched to a welded bracket but I'm not sure the wagon was the same. The Maxima wagon might actually have rear drums since it has a solid axel.

That generation of Maxima was 1981-84.

also, the front struts and brakes look like the 280ZX style but they are not 100% the same. Brake pads ect do not switch out between them and a Z. Good only for core charges. :)

elieveI see your "I believe" and match it with an "I believe" that stands by my earlier quote of 82 or 83. I found the brackets on a car about four or five years ago and grabbed em, and I would swear it was an 83, if not an 82. I can't make logical sense out of it, and I mean exactly what I said; I believe, you believe. I wish one of us was certain, or that someone would chime in with a certain date....... BUT, I am not holding my breath because I asked and asked about it on Zcar.com back in the day and whatever model years they were on............... one thing I know for certain. Nobody on the internet knows for certain :)