HybridZ

WD-40 + flat tire + fire =

jasper

Yes, ether, aka starting fluid. I've used it to seat tires before. If you spray it in the valve stem hole and light it from there you get a pretty good pop. Sounds like an m80. That video was pretty cool though. Didn't look like he could have done it much better than that.

It's extremely common to do that on farms. A regular car tire will generally bead up easily, and a truck tire may take some wiggling, but a tractor tire that has a 2" gap around the bead will never set up. Normally an air bomb gets used to dump a lot of air into the tire quickly, but for big stuff, something flammable is the only real way. Mostly happens on old tires that haven't been on a rim for a while. One of these

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/186936-1.jpg

had been giving me trouble for about half an hour, I'd even tried rope around it to get it to bulge. Finally ran down to the hardware store and got some starting fluid. Damn thing jumped about three feet off the ground when it was lit. Stupid thing was it was the second time I'd taken the tire off the rim. First time was to change it, and discovered a leak. Took it off, patched it, and it wouldn't bead back up.

I'd always wondered a little if with these things out in the sun in the summer the air left in them (I always have to add air to bring them up to pressure) and any un-burned gas left might go up. Never happened, never heard of it happening, so I'm not too worried, but I've always wondered.

-Eric