HybridZ

240 turn signals/bumper on 280Z

Ok, I know you guys have seen this enough. Anyway I was doing some searching and I just wanted to confirm. Basically I found that there are two ways to convert to the 240/early 260 style turn signals. One was to get a 240Z airdam and fit the taillights into it or I saw, and this is the part I wanted to make sure of, was that you can unbolt the lower valence panel the thing right below the headlight bucket and that you can bolt up one from a 240Z so that way you will have the signals in place. Then I was wondering if you did that route would you need special brackets for the 240Z front bumper? Or would you be able then to just mount up the 240Z bumper? I was curious about the bumper thing because I came across the thread where you could buy the brackets in the runs that azcarbum I think his name was had made up. I just wanted to know if you'd still need the brackets. If not then I could focuse on spending the money on the valence panels.

Duowing. Yes, You need the brackets that azcarbum makes in order to mount the 240z bumper to your 280, or late 260. I have done the valance conversion on my car using the Xenon Air dam. I also made a thread showing folks how they can extend the slats on your grille to cover the old turn signal boxes.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to ask. Should I go about trying to find the lower valence panels from a 240/260 with the turn signals in them? Or do you remove the valence panels anyway when installing the air dams? I don't have an air dam yet, I'm pllaning to go with the 240 style anyway, but I figured if the panels get removed when installing the air dam then I won't worry about trying to find the panels and just buy the air dam and focus on getting the turn signals.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I made my bumper brackets, bought 240z turn signals. My car is a 78 280z

th_DSCF0001-20.jpgafter

th_DSCF0002-19.jpgbefore

Thread revival, but I'm about to do this to my 280Z as well.

This is how she sits:

164163_911994703235_9427817_48261072_76876_n.jpg

As you can see, I've got the Type 1 airdam mounted and the turn signals in (still need to wire), but I can't see how I'm going to go about removing the old turn signal housings and get my early 240Z bumper brackets to line up with anything (if that's possible). I've got a rechromed '71 bumper waiting to go on and I'm getting tired of looking at the gaping mouth. Was wondering how you were able to remove the housings. Fairly simple? Custom brackets for the bumper? I've got a fairly meaty FMIC and I can't see how I'm going to get around it without custom brackets.

Edited by usafdarkhorse

YEs, old thread, but still valid, You'll need the Custom brackets. I think MSA sells them, but I'm not sure about your intercooler. I think the MSA brackets bolt to the oem "bumpershock" mounting holes. If anything you could modify them to fit, or maybe make your own. They're basically L shaped metal w/ slots on the long end and holes for the bumper on the short end.

Yes brackets for the bumper. I ordered my brackets from azcar and everything went very smoothly. I am, on the other hand, going to re-fab them with some meatier metal. The metal of the originals is just a little thin for my taste. If you want something that will work, and is fairly priced check with azcarbum, you can't go wrong.

Yeah I've got the original bumper brackets, but wasn't thinking that the intercooler would be in the way and can't really see where the other custom brackets would bolt.

Any way I can get some close up pics of your car to see how it worked?

I've got this nicely rechromed slim bumper and I'm wanting it on!!! haha

• 1 year later...

^ Honestly its THAT simple. Its like 8 bolts total I think not even. Its so simple, only thing is I had a xenon bumper and you have to drill the holes yourself. Thats not hard but that is the only thing. Airdam install took me 30min, only thing is it needs reinforcement or it flexes, atleast the urethane one does.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...