HybridZ

What Wheelsize witout zg fenders?

Hi.

I've been looking at the "Watanabee rs8 Type R" Like the one Hoke have here on the forum.

Could 9 inches fit with out needing zg fenders in the back and like 8 or 8,5 in the front?

Have seen a picture and it's look awsome. Here it comes:

How wide do you think this wheels is?

64967_1233002260.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin and I have RS Watanabe R Type not RS-8.

Here is what the RS-8 looks like:

S3600006.JPG

Before I had 9.5 in the rear but I sold them and bought two more 8.5.

Here is with 16x8.5 -6 225/50/16 16x9.5 -19 245/45/16:

DSCF0130.JPG

Without flares you can run a 8.5 -6 offset. I have them all around now:

DSCF3806.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

Hope this helps :2thumbs:

Austin and I have RS Watanabe R Type not RS-8.

Here is what the RS-8 looks like:

S3600006.JPG

Before I had 9.5 in the rear but I sold them and bought two more 8.5.

Here is with 16x8.5 -6 225/50/16 16x9.5 -19 245/45/16:

DSCF0130.JPG

DSCF3806.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

Hope this helps :2thumbs:

Looks great!

Is the watanebe rs type-R available in 8" i might just want to use 215x40x16

How wide is the polished Wheel lip? about 8 cm?

And the last question.. Is the Polished Lip on the 9,5" wheels as wide as on the 8,5"?

Looks great! Is the watanebe rs type-R available in 8" i might just want to use 215x40x16.

Thanks, there called "RS-Watanabe R Type" not "watanebe rs type R" it sounds like a Honda knock off. They do come in 8"s with 0 offset. Here is the Gallery and the Size Page.

How wide is the polished Wheel lip? about 8 cm?

It's not polished they call it a machine finish. I would say 4" on my 8.5".

And the last question.. Is the Polished Lip on the 9,5" wheels as wide as on the 8,5"?

Wider

8.5"DSCF0002.jpg9.5"DSCF0003.jpg

Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, interesting - In my personal experience, there is no way, absolutely none what-so-ever that you will squeeze an 8" wide rim under the front of the Z, well not stock suspension anyways......

You either end up with wheel outside the guard lip or run about a 25p offset and have your wheels slapping into the chassis before full lock,

I have measured, measured and measured again and I have 115mm of backspacing and approximately 90mm of forward spacing before I hit the inner lip of the guard (100mm if you include the outter lip), its a little bit different on the other side of the car, but close enough to that - thats a max total of 215mm, good 10mm short of your average 8" rim - certainly gain more backspacing with smaller OD coilovers,

For visual proof, this is what an 8" rim, 6p offset and 235/45-17 tyres looked like on my Z, good 10-15mm outside the outter lip of the guard,

P1010117640x480.jpg

If you run smaller OD coilovers you can run a higher positive offset, around 25p and you should get the 8" rims stuffed underneath the car but you will struggle to get full steering lock as the wheels will wack into the chassis rails!

Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, interesting - In my personal experience, there is no way, absolutely none what-so-ever that you will squeeze an 8" wide rim under the front of the Z, well not stock suspension anyways......

Hold the phone tonycharger72, RaGnaR_RattmuFF didn't say what suspension will 9" Watanabe's work on, only if they will fit without flares. He also didn't state what kind of Z he has. As everyone can tell I'm far from stock ride height so let me clarify a bit more.

If RaGnaR_RattmuFF stated: I have an S30 will a 9" wheel with stock suspension fit without fender flares my post would have been something like this instead of my above comments:

Unless you install coil-overs 9" Watanabe's or any other brand and offset of wheel will not fit. The back side of the wheel will hit the lower spring perch not to mention if you have the stock lower valance it will rub that and the top of the fender arch.

IMHO 7.5" would be the max with a 0 offset without rubbing on a stock S30 suspension. Now if you have a Ground Control or similar coil over setup than an 9" will fit but will extend outside of the wheel well arch and in my experience a 8.5" will fit without flares.

It's all about the details :)

Sorry, my reply had a touch of frustration thrown in there, I was awfully unimpressed when I falked out $1600 on wheels and tyres and they didnt fit properly...........was not the funnest experience :-)!

It's all about the details :-)

Yes it is 240tt, think with a bit of neg camber and about 10-15p offset you could get 8" under the guards and clear the chassis rails at lock - but that really is a guess,

My personal experience is 8" really is to wide at the front of a zed unless you deal with the wheels just poking out of the guards or run a higher positive offset and deal with the wheels hitting the chassis rails,

I didnt mention, that with the 8" rim and 235/45-17 tyres and then 215/45-17 tyres and 6p offset my wheels not only poked out of the guards, but at full-lock the bloody things rubbed on the chassis rails, I had to put a stop on the rack to get it over rego and scew in some rubber mud flaps onto the inner guard lip (like you see on FWD's) so my "guards" covered the outside of the wheel - gave the Z an interesting look :-)!

I was told repeatedly that 8" rims would fit onto my Z at the front if I ran a close to 0 offset, but honestly don't see that that is correct, unless my Z is different from others................

Local wheel manufacturer in Australia called Simmons makes 3-piece wheels, they have told me they have supplied lots of wheels for Z's and told me I wont get more than a 7" rim under my Z, not unless I would like to deal with rims poking out past the guards or have my wheels rubbing on the chassis rails,

These are 16x8 0 offset on my 280z. I have no issues with them up front, the rears do rub a hair with 245/45's out back without the fenders rolled.

I ran my 8" rims for about 9-10mths on my car (I took of the mud-flaps when I was through rego) and with stock ride height I was able to drive around in the car, only when I went over a big bump did the rear tyres rub,

Therefore, 8" rim does fit - but if by "fit" you mean the wheels are completely under the guard lip and clear the chassis rails, I really don't think they do! Think your better of with 7" front and 8" out back :-)!

well my fronts have never rubbed, ever. I'm running 225/50 on them with no issues so I consider them to fit. Your experience may differ, the tolerances from one car to the next isn't exact so someone may have an issue. I'm just sharing my insight. I will be going to 225's out back and that shall stop the rubbing on big dips that I was seeing with the 245s.

Would running 205 R16's on a 16x8 wheel help prevent the rubbing issue? I'm thinking about doing that avoid the rubbing issue in the front and back.

Run the 205's on a 7" rim, may as well...........and run a 15p offset, you will have strut clearance, inner guard clearance and not f#ck with your track!!!

well my fronts have never rubbed, ever. I'm running 225/50 on them with no issues so I consider them to fit. Your experience may differ, the tolerances from one car to the next isn't exact so someone may have an issue. I'm just sharing my insight. I will be going to 225's out back and that shall stop the rubbing on big dips that I was seeing with the 245s.

You look like you are running at stock ride height, like I was when I ran 17x8" rims with 6p offset, wheels only rubed at close to full-lock on the fronts, but did poke past the guards, never rubbed on the guards - on the rears they only rubbed when I when over a big bump, honestly, yours look like they poke past the guards too, but you might not have much of an issue as there is quite a lot of clearance between the top of your wheels and the guard lip, just like mine were :-)!

If you are running stock suspension and stock ride height you can slap on a set of 8" rims, but you WILL have the issue of the wheels poking out past the guards or run into clearance issues with the chassis rails, plus when I increased my track that much the car felt like sh#t!!!

Seriously, it really is a struggle to stuff 8" rims under the front of a Z!!! And if I think you define "fit" by clearing the inner guard lips and chassis rails then an 8" rim don't fit under the front of a Z!!!

I must have gotten lucky then to fit my 17x8.5 +4 offset wheels to fit!! I have had no issues in the front. No rubbing issues and fit under the guards perfect. I am running 225x45x17.

Now the back is a different story. I rub with over big bumps. I still need to roll the fender lip which should help my problem. Here is a recent pic with lowered suspension and a new front lip installed.

img00537yd9.jpg

I must have gotten lucky then to fit my 17x8.5 +4 offset wheels to fit!! I have had no issues in the front. No rubbing issues and fit under the guards perfect. I am running 225x45x17.

Not lucky, more of a miracle :-)!!!

Thats 241.3mm (approx) of wheel stuffed under the front of your Z!!! With 116.5mm of Forward Spacing & 124.5mm of Back-Spacing, you should have clearance issues with your struts and wheels should be poking out past your guards,

I remember I ran a 17x7 with 20p offset on my stock suspension Z and could just squeeze a piece of paper between the wheel and the strut tower on the fronts - that was with 120mm of backspacing, stuffed if I know how you squeeze 124mm of backspacing under a Z without interference on the strut towers or not have the wheels slap into the chassis rails near lock!!!

Maybe I got the raw end of the stick with my Z :-)!!!