HybridZ

Blown Oil Filter Gasket

savageskaterkid

On my bike I've recently changed the oil to Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. The bike calls for 10w-40, so it is the right weight and all. I also used an Amsoil filter. I did this about 50-70 miles ago. The other day I went and started it up and after a few seconds I heard a slight metal to metal contact noise, didn't sound like detenation, or valve tap or a knock-not sure what it was. Then I looked down to find where it came from and oil was dumping out the bottom of my bike, so I cut it off. The oil was coming from the filter, and noticed it had a blown gasket. I pulled the filter off, and went to get another filter gasket to see if it solved my problem. After a few minutes the gasket formed into shape again, with no assistance. I visually inspected it for any flaws and it looked perfect. I decided to reuse it to(I know its probably not the best thing, but I did it only to see if that was the issue or not.) I added oil and put the filter back on. When I started the bike I heard that same metal to metal noise-it wasn't a long noise, just a quick ping. I looked down and oil was pouring out again, so I cut it off again. Everyone is saying its a faulty filter, but I want to make sure first, as I don't wanna look like a jackass to find out it wasn't the filter, not to mention another 20 bucks for filter and a little over 30 for the oil.

I think the most possible cause is the pressure relief valve didn't vent pressure and caused it to blow? Usually the filter itself will expand and buldge a bit before a gasket blows, but amsoil may be using a stronger case that may not expand and just blow the gasket. The slight ping I heard may be the checkball actually hitting the housing? If it was a faulty filter it would most likely screw up when I first did the oil change, not miles later-on startup no less. If it is this problem what is the best way to fix it. I know that they can get caught up at times, cause a failure, and free up before someone goes to inspect it. I don't want this to happen again, luckily it didn't happen while I was riding as an oily tire in a turn wouldn't be a blessing.

Before posting read this, as I've had so many people question me if I did the oil change right and such. It may not be the best job, but I've been changing oil for over 3 years now at a shop, longer then that on my own. Out of the thousands of cars I've had to service I've never had a single problem with a filter, other then a double gasket, which I notice as soon as I put the new filter on and feel something wrong. Never have I had a car like that leave the shop, or even start before I realise the mistake. The bike was not double gasketed.

• Administrators

Not knowing how the Motorcylce gasket/O-ring is designed/installed, I will offer that it is not uncommon in automotive applications where the owner changes the filter only to have that filter gasket/rubber O-ring blow out, similar to what you described. What the typical cause in automotive applications is when the old oil filter was removed, the rubber O-ring remains attached to the block, not the filter when it was removed, and when the new oil filter was installed, it is essentially double O-ringed, installer does not notice this during installation and upon engine start up the old O-ring just pops out because it is isn't captured.

Again, not knowing the motorcycle oil filter/gasket design, this may or may not apply to your situation.

The bike is an 03 Kawasaki ZX600e, the ZZR600. It was not double-gasketed(double O-ringed) The original gasket on the old filter can't really stick to the block, its actually held onto the filter with metal retainers of somesort that are built into the filter(I assume its a kawasaki filter)

I've pulled off the filter and replaced the gasket in the filter and it did the same thing. There was NO remaining gasket on the filter housing.

Decided to look into the pressure relief valve idea as a failure. There is no pressure relief at the filter housing. Some engines have them in the filter housing, others have it in the pump-some even have both. This is only from what I've read so I'm not 100% positive. Mine does not have a check valve at the filter housing, so that isn't the cause if it doesn't exist there. I put the old Kawasaki Filter and fired it up, only to find......that it WORKED. Did not blow the gasket and all was well. I took off the gasket from the amsoil filter and let it sit and it reformed yet again, with no flaws. I don't understand why this would happen.

I could see a possibility of it happening on a cheap off brand filter, but amsoil? They usually tend to be excellent quality, and its just baffling. I have a VERY long shot guess, maybe the actual hole where my oil comes into the housing is covered by the gasket somehow? Maybe it is a defect filter internally and thats it?