HybridZ

Driveshaft companion flange

MONGO510

Hey fella's, I am a little concerned about the strength of the input flange bolt circle. Has anyone had any problems with the bolts shearing off?

I have the 2.25" flange with 8mm bolts. Will the flange from the 300zx, which has the larger bolt circle and 10mm bolts, fit my R200 pinion? Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks,

John

I've swapped a few flanges back and forth on r200s and no troubles.

The 280zx turbo has a semi-rectangular flange which I would imagine is stronger than the circular one found on s12 200sx and non-turbo 280zx.

Not sure if they are stronger but nissan felt must have done it for a reason.

Not sure about the 300zx flange, though.

I need a 300zx differential input companion flange(if it wiil fit my 280 long nose R200 diff). I am installing a SBC and would like to use the larger bolt circle flange, if possible. It should be much stronger than the small bolt circle models. I don't plan a lot of drag strip launch's, but I tend to over engineer my stuff so that I have very few failures. JTR has a 300zx drive shaft flange that will allow using the large bolt circle diff flange.

If you have the diff. flange I need I will probably buy it from you.

John DeHaan

Have you bought the flange from JTR yet? I have both the differential flange and the correct yoke flange for the 300ZX. It will bolt on the the R200 and the yoke flange takes a standard 1310 ujoint. I was using both in my 240Z for about 300 miles. In the S30, the larger diameter flange interferes with the diff mount, so I am changing back to the other 10mm bolt style. Are you putting this in a 510, S30 or an S130? The large style will work in an S130 or Z31 but not in an S30 with the stock diff mount in there. Not sure if it will work in an 510 though. You will have to measure to see if you have enough clearance around the current flange...

Cheers

Doug

Have you bought the flange from JTR yet? I have both the differential flange and the correct yoke flange for the 300ZX. It will bolt on the the R200 and the yoke flange takes a standard 1310 ujoint. I was using both in my 240Z for about 300 miles. In the S30, the larger diameter flange interferes with the diff mount, so I am changing back to the other 10mm bolt style. Are you putting this in a 510, S30 or an S130? The large style will work in an S130 or Z31 but not in an S30 with the stock diff mount in there. Not sure if it will work in an 510 though. You will have to measure to see if you have enough clearance around the current flange...

Cheers

Doug

Would it be possible to fix the 300ZX turbo flange by welding something on it to where it would stick out further so as to not interfere with the diff mount do you think?

Greg

The Z31 flange could be used in an S30 if you run a Ron Tyler diff mount without the factory mount. There is not too much difference between the two diff flanges with the 10mm bolts. Here is a picture stolen from the JTR site that shows the three different R200 flanges.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=22826&cat=500

I am going to use the center one, it fits the S30 with the stock diff mount. The Powertrain Industries part number for the mating yoke flange is #3102-20. The Z31 diff flange (right hand side of the picture) mating yoke is part number #3102-21.

I see no need to go with the Z31 flange if it won't fit your application. I agree with the OP that the 8mm bolts in the left hand one are probably not the best choice for 3 times the stock torque.

Cheers

Doug

One thing to think about is torque. The loads placed on the driveshaft u-joints and flange bolts are far less than those imposed at the halfshafts. I believe you'd need buckets of torque and very sticky tires to 'f' shear driveshaft flange bolts. That's just my simple opinion at a glance.