HybridZ

DIY - Steel workbench! $105

Well I finally bit the bullet and decided to build a workbench!!

I was pondering the idea of what the hell I could use to build the frame.. keep in mind im cheap.. very very cheap and I hate spending money.

I currently work at Home Depot until I finish up my pilot ratings and hopefully get hired on someday from someone.. and one day.. it dawned on me. pallet racking! I'm standing in a warehouse full of it!

I didn't want to steel the racking and get fired.. so I tried craigslist. Someone was closing out a warehouse and was selling 2x3 cross beams at 112" inches long. I figured I could grab 4 or 5 beams and start chopping them up. The guy only wanted $10 per beam! 5000 pounds capacity each.. it'll do.

The next step was figuring out the table top.. i could grab some OSB.. but I want to weld.. so I found some 3/16" thick steel for $60 + $5 labor to cut it.

I don't want to post my measurements because everyone is different.. we are all different heights and have different size workshops/garages. But my particular bench is 28"x60". Its perfect for me.

Pallet racking laid out and i'm beginning to cut it all up

0203091347.jpg

Table top mock-up and supports

0203091357.jpg

Legs and plate steel to bolt onto a caster or keep free standing

0203091612.jpg

Table top and supports tack welded together somewhat. This is in the early stages. I had to grind off the powder coating

0203091612a.jpg

The bench is not yet finished. It's a bit wobbly so I need to add some cross bracing or square it up some.. needs to be a bit stronger.

0203091749.jpg

Anyway... I need to do a little more cutting.. grind down all the paint and paint it black.. and weld on new cross bracing... then she should be complete!

I'll add a tube for holding my MIG gun, attach a vise and some other random crap..

but here ya go.. $105.

I added some new cross beams for more support!

now it's rock solid!! I was going to add a bar across the rear of the bench but its sooooo sturdy as it is! why bother! lol

0208091304.jpg

I also added a worklight, 5" vice and threw some crap under the bench... I know its a mess!!

0209091142.jpg

All she needs now is PAINT!

oh well