HybridZ

Show Off Your Engine Bay! Pics Wanted, L-series

philipl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice Ryan. With regards to the fuel routing subject- I am trying to figure yours out?

Oh, it's a mess... comes out at the stock location, runs up through the Holley regulator, through the system 1 fuel filter, then back along the frame rail to the fire wall, and up over the transmission to the carbs. One big old tour of the engine bay...

That's a project for another day though, just happy to have the car back on the road after three months of no engine. :)

My current state of swap madness:

20736807439_a951cf7727_c.jpg

Still have to swap out the oil pan, run a few vacuum hoses, install the cleaned injectors and rail, and wire this puppy in. 

My favorite thing is the 3 inch MAF to turbo inlet pipe I made allowing me to keep the oem PCV setup and carbon canister. Also moves it to in front of the radiator, saving me a headache of trying to fudge it into the bay.  :D

20950189149_fe899335a5_c.jpg

Finally finished my turbo install! Had a bum ignitor, so I followed skittle's write up on the HEI module and she fired right up! 

Until I realized my distributor shaft was off a tooth. Moved it, and bam! Set the idle to 750, TPS adjusted, Timing on point... She flies! So happy. The bump in compression with the n42/n42 is noticeable, but I'm going to keep it at the stock 7psi... Seems plenty for what I do with the car. I'm really happy my AFM hard pipe worked out. That, and I decided to use the Turbo valve cover. The black is so much more subtle. 

• 4 weeks later...

^^^ hey Ryan who does your engine work ? I'm up in Ottawa and that motor looks nice ...clean install too !

Could you recommend anybody ?

You dyno that motor yet ?

Thanks!  

Anything I can't do myself, I trust to Glenn Foote Auto Repair (https://www.facebook.com/GlennFootesAuto).  Guy was a mechanic at Kingston's Nissan dealership for 20+ years and left to open his own shop - also owns a 78' 280Z, and works on a lot of old Z's.  He did a ground up restoration on HLS30-006## last Winter, turned out very nice.  Great guy!  

The engine is Grannyknot's old Whitehead L28, which I bought from him through the OZC forums back in June - I pretty much stripped it down to just the long block and put on my own ignition, carbs, header, etc.  I haven't had it on the dyno yet, no, but I am hoping to get some dyno time in next Spring as it isn't pulling quite as hard as I think it should be.  Grannyknot managed 188hp with SU's, a stock-ish exhaust, and distributor, so I would hope to at least equal that.