HybridZ

Exhaust manifold options for 260 Z

I have a 74 260 with an LT1 in it. I have I think competition headers now, but want to go with manifolds. Specifically I want to try ‘Ram horn’ I saw a pair with 2.5†and wondered if they will fit. I want to use them because I will be putting a turbo on and just don’t want the hassles of headers with turbos.

I couldn’t find anything with the search. It would seem they will fit but want the large 2.5†if they won’t fit I would try the LT1 manifolds, or the 2†Ram horns.

Thanks

Jack

If you're talking about the "new" LT1 93 -96 then I don't think the ram horns are going to fit. The LT1 heads have angled plugs for one thing. I put ram horns to replace the rusted out long tube headers the PO had on my old 350 engine and killed its performance, too much cam. I also don't think the drivers side stock LT1 manifold will fit in our cars, it will hit the steering shaft.

If you're talking about the "new" LT1 93 -96 then I don't think the ram horns are going to fit. The LT1 heads have angled plugs for one thing. I put ram horns to replace the rusted out long tube headers the PO had on my old 350 engine and killed its performance, too much cam. I also don't think the drivers side stock LT1 manifold will fit in our cars, it will hit the steering shaft.

A friend uses the Ram horns on his 280ZX with aluminum angle plug LT1 heads. BUT his car is far different than mine to say the least....and wonder if they will clear a 260 Z

I know for NA the Ram horns would be terrible, but I am doing a rear mount turbo so I think they will be ok...I am trying for low power ~450 RWHP is all...

I was afraid the LT1 would have trouble on the drivers side. Like I said I have headers, but they are old and well headers on a rear mount are painful with loss of heat and they will leak. Manifolds won't make the power, but hold heat and 450 RWHP is low so even Ram horns could be ok...

If I must I will use headers and simply plan on getting a new pair when I blow them. What do the headers run these days seems they used to be ~$300

Thanks for the reply

Edit yes it is an electronic LT1 with 4L60E tranny.

Well its worth a shot to try the ram horns. This is what I am running on my LT1. They are still tight with the steering shaft but they will work. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Headers.html

A friend uses the Ram horns on his 280ZX with aluminum angle plug LT1 heads. BUT his car is far different than mine to say the least....and wonder if they will clear a 260 Z

I know for NA the Ram horns would be terrible, but I am doing a rear mount turbo so I think they will be ok...I am trying for low power ~450 RWHP is all...

I was afraid the LT1 would have trouble on the drivers side. Like I said I have headers, but they are old and well headers on a rear mount are painful with loss of heat and they will leak. Manifolds won't make the power, but hold heat and 450 RWHP is low so even Ram horns could be ok...

If I must I will use headers and simply plan on getting a new pair when I blow them. What do the headers run these days seems they used to be ~$300

Thanks for the reply

Edit yes it is an electronic LT1 with 4L60E tranny.

Well its worth a shot to try the ram horns. This is what I am running on my LT1. They are still tight with the steering shaft but they will work. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Headers.html

I will consider the options. The Ram manifolds hold heat, but they have small exhaust pipe 2" and the 2.5" are EXPEN$IVE. Never easy. I may just stay with the headers I have since they seem ok...

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions. Always good to discuss with a neutral person to ensure options are considered.

I put a motor in the Z to check and LT1 manifolds will not work on my Z. I will buy the Ram horns and I think I will be able to get them to work. The steering column was the problem with the LT1 manifolds the Ram horns will need to have the pipe tucked either between the steering column and the block OR the frame rail

Thanks again

I understand this is a crap shoot...Like I said with the motor in I can verify LT1 manifolds won't work with my setup...IF the engine is against fire wall the LT1's MIGHT work in another setup...

I will look at the link you sent when I get home. The Ram horns MIGHT work until I have them in hand and put them on the car I really don't know. I HATE using a 2" manifold, but since it will be low HP <450 RWHP I think they will be ok...

My plan is to leave it 2" in engine bay then go to a Y with a 3" to turbo. I might expand to 2.5" after engine bay I want to minimize all the piping required and 2" and 2.5" complicates it...The y I will use has 2.5 to 3" it is cheap stamped steel but I used them before and they do flow just not a small package.

Thanks again I hope to get to the car in a few weeks. I have the car at my other house so that will lengthen the process :>(

A side note do you happen to have an aluminum headed cam for an LT1? I need to find one

Thanks

Jack

The Corvette manifolds exit in the middle much like the ramhorns.

I understand this is a crap shoot...Like I said with the motor in I can verify LT1 manifolds won't work with my setup...IF the engine is against fire wall the LT1's MIGHT work in another setup...

I will look at the link you sent when I get home. The Ram horns MIGHT work until I have them in hand and put them on the car I really don't know. I HATE using a 2" manifold, but since it will be low HP <450 RWHP I think they will be ok...

My plan is to leave it 2" in engine bay then go to a Y with a 3" to turbo. I might expand to 2.5" after engine bay I want to minimize all the piping required and 2" and 2.5" complicates it...The y I will use has 2.5 to 3" it is cheap stamped steel but I used them before and they do flow just not a small package.

Thanks again I hope to get to the car in a few weeks. I have the car at my other house so that will lengthen the process :>(

A side note do you happen to have an aluminum headed cam for an LT1? I need to find one

Thanks

Jack

EXCELLENT find. I will look closely at home but they seem EXACTLY like the ones I was going to buy BUT 2 1/2"!

Definately what I prefer since it will aloow more flow and keep it one size so I could buy all 2 1/2" mandrell pipe!

Edit does that use a flat connection or donut? I am referring to the flange section....either way that is EXACTLY what I think I need

I think the manifold is the same for old and new style exhaust ports.

Cool, The Corvette ones use a donut flange but the SBC ones use a flange (at least the reducer they refer photo has one) and it says will work with angle plug heads. One question is the ports. The Corvette ones says square, it doesn't say on the SBC.

Seems to be a no brainer really the corvette at $140 shipped and I can buy the reducer and cut it off and stay 2 1/2". I think a 45 degree mandrell bend from the manifold should take the exhaust to above the oil filter and avoid the steering column.

I wish I had my Z here....oh well this is definately a great find for me since I would pay ~$10o shipped for 2" ram style manifold. $40 more and I get 2 1/2" so definately worth it.

i was here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330307810980&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

I got the manifold today looks good. It will need some trimming to fit an LT1 head, but seems fine. I will know this weekend if it will fit. It seems like it probably will the flange they sell for the 9300327 is flat, but I think I can work with it.

Thanks again on the leads I will post progress maybe get pics of manifold on mockup this weekend. The main concern is the drivers side, but the manifold I think can be flipped and used on either side.

I also have a 260Z that I will soon begin. I been reading and collecting parts. Picked up my Toyota brake calipers today. In the JTR book it shows the drivers side with a rearward dump on the exhaust manifold. Will a straight down clear with no issues. Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere else. Thanks, Tracy.

I also have a 260Z that I will soon begin. I been reading and collecting parts. Picked up my Toyota brake calipers today. In the JTR book it shows the drivers side with a rearward dump on the exhaust manifold. Will a straight down clear with no issues. Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere else. Thanks, Tracy.

I tried LT1 and a few manifolds a friend had at his shop...none would clear on the drivers side.

I converted mine in 1987 and used mounts from a 68 Nova I think so have no idea where the manual would put it. I don't know when the manual came out...

I bought a set of the ram horns from above they will fit but I think I will simply leave the Z supercharged with headers.