HybridZ

LS1 / 280Z Speedometer Question

I wanted to save my original gauges after the LS1 conversion, so I bought an X box converter. It has been about 2,000 miles and the speedometer has become "jumpy". For those of you that went with new speedometers, what did you buy, what diameter, did you perserve the brake light and high beam indicator and find a black face. Long question, thanks in advance.

Doesn't really answer your question, but when mine was jumpy, I had to re-route the cable so that the bends were very gentle. No more jumpiness after another year and a half.

I kept my stock speedo too because I could not find one with the indicator lamps.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the note. My first option is to fix it. I will fuss with it some more. I mounted the X box at the firewall just below the steering column, thought it a spot with almost no curves or kinks. Now I can kick the cable when it goes to sleep. I will keep trying. Thanks and it has been a while since we talked.

what is this x box your talking about? i'm just getting into an LS1 swap and would like to keep my orginial gauges as well. google searches bring up nothing but Microsoft's Xbox. my first guess is that is not what your talking about haha

It's called a CableX box, from Abbott's. It was originally designed for the trucking industry. You can get one through John's cars. I am sure there are other places.

Mike

Little more detail on the x-box. It takes the LS1 transmission's digital input and converts it to a signal that drives a small electric motor. The electric motor in turn spins the seedometer cable allowing you to keep the original unit. It is programmable based on rear end ratio and tire size. Clever idea, works great. Lately mine has been "jumpy".

I went with the autometer 5" speedo and tach to fill in the stock holes. Install was a breeze and fitment is as good as stock IMO (i followed the instructions posted on here to do it). Accuracy is 100%, no jumping, no dead spots at all. Nice thing is you can program it over and over again for rear end swaps and tire size changes. It reads exactly what my GPS does when I'm in the car so I can't ask for more than that.

I did not incorporate the turn indicators or high beam lights as for me those weren't a huge concern. You can hear the 'clicking' of the turn signals when they are on even with the stereo on so I know when its still on and I rarely drive at night to use the highbeams.

janaka_speedo2.jpg

Those are the Sport-Comp series of gauges. Neither needed a sending unit as they are electronic. You just tap into the PCM to get the signal and thats it. For the Tach you need to put the dip switch on the back to the 4cyl mod for the LS1 RPM's to be read properly (I had it on 8cyl originally and it read 1/2 the rpms, lol)

I went auto meter as well for the speedo and tach. Very easy setup and very light weight in comparison to the stock guages. Also I put 2 little 12v LEDs between the two gauges for the turn signals and my highbeam indicator is the small red light in the stock Volt guage.

DatsunDash.jpg

I agree with using the Pro Comp series ;)

ProComp_Gauges_001.jpg

Summit Racing part numbers.

The Speedo is part number: ATM-5189

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM%2D5189&N=700+0&autoview=sku

The Tach is part number: ATM-5160

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM%2D5160&N=700+0&autoview=sku