HybridZ

240sx tranny in a 240z?

clutchdust

a local guy has a 240sx 5-speed he's letting go cheap. anybody know if it will mate up to my L24?

[EDIT] o.k. after searching it seems like the SX tranny does work but requires an adaptor. is that correct? sorry for the n00b post but you guys are posting about rb747 something-or-other into an et9478205 something-else, and i have no idea what the hell all the codes are.

a local guy has a 240sx 5-speed he's letting go cheap. anybody know if it will mate up to my L24?

[EDIT] o.k. after searching it seems like the SX tranny does work but requires an adaptor. is that correct? sorry for the n00b post but you guys are posting about rb747 something-or-other into an et9478205 something-else, and i have no idea what the hell all the codes are.

You won't need an adapter, what your going to end up doing is use the back half (gearbox) of the 240sx, and use 280z bell housing. (The 280z bell housing will bolt up directly to your L24 block.) Here is some information on this topic:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/240sxtransmissioninstall/index.html

If you still need help, PM me, for I have recently done this swap.

Cheers

EDIT: You will also have to do some mounting modifications, it's just some fab work.

thanks for the help guys, but if it really takes that much and unless this SX tranny is perfect, would i be better off just trying to find a salvage 5-speed from a late 280 or 300z in a junk yard? what other 5-speeds bolt up to the block? i don't mind a little fab work, i just really don't want to screw with machining and such (not with this project).

what other 5-speeds bolt up to the block? i don't mind a little fab work, i just really don't want to screw with machining and such (not with this project).

All L-Series transmissions will interchange. If you don't want to mess w/ heavy fab work, stick to a transmission made for an L-Series motor.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 240sx trans in my 280ZX. need to mod the L series front half of the case and also have to get a custom driveshaft,

HOWEVER.... Im pretty sure if you got one out of a hard body pickup (with a KA24E for sure, maybe the later ones with the KA24DE, not sure) , the trans is the same length (prettymuch) as an L series gear box, also you wouldnt have to mod your driveshaft. ANd it uses the same style shifter as the earlier Z car transmissions. but then you are stuck with truck ratios, but Im sure you could put the SX ratios in the truck case if you were so inclined.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I ran into a few issue in the process of this swap. I currently have a l28et and I'm trying to use the 240sx transmission along with an rb25 light weight flywheel, 350z clutch and pressure plate. My question is, what combination throw out bearing, throwout bearing collar, and clutch fork do I use with this set up? I know for a fact that I have to use the bigger 350z bearing, but how do I determine what size collar and fork to use? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Typically you match the throw out collar to the pressure plate you are using. Since you are using the 350z pressure plate, you will need to determine the distance of the clutch forks to the transmission snout. measure from the clutch forks to the engine block with dust cover installed. Then measure from the bell housing to where the throwout collar seats on the transmission. The difference of these two numbers (plus a mm or so clearance) is the length of the clutch collar/bearing combo. Then find the collar and bearing combo that suits your needs. The only difference in the collars is the length.

When going from a 240 or 260z to a newer clutch you need to go with the longer 280zx collar. I suspect the 350z clutch is the same height as the 280zx, but I don't know.

Thanks Rejracer, I'll give that a go when I find some time in the garage. And I had the same thought about using the longer 280zx collar, then I realized even they also come in a few different length so that was a bummer. I also had another question hopefully someone could answer. The l28et I have came from and 81, so when I pulled the automatic transmission off, it had a spacer in front of the flywheel, and another one between the flywheel and crank. Do I remove both spacers? or do I leave the one between the flywheel and crank when I convert to a manual? I looked in a couple shop manuals, but it wasn't clear. I tried it with the spacer on and my starter seems to only catch the edge of my flywheel and chipped a bunch of teeth.I just bought a new flywheel and I don't want the same thing to happen twice.

• 8 months later...

wait the s14 has an SR stock? I know most people who swap out KA's for sr20's still use the KA tanny modded with the SR20 bellhousing, which means it's still a KA tranny gear case (which is the only real part you need). I would double check that it's a KA tranny.

Edit: found this http://forums.nicoclub.com/ka-vs-sr-tranny-t391988.html

they say the gear cases is exactly the same for early Sr's an Ka's, only need to swap the bellhousing (SR bellhousing for an Sr motor, KA bellhousing for a Ka motor) so it should work. Worst case just ask him what the tranny stamp is, and if he doesn't even know what that is walk away since he's a retard

Edited by BluDestiny