HybridZ

71 240Z LS1 T56 Swap

I am a new member and just picked up a 71 240z, always loved these cars and now have the money (working on the time) to build one. See below for pics.

I have been trying to do my homework before I even start to work on the project and the one main thing that I can't find a straight answer on is cv joints with an R200 rear. I know I want to put a clutch style R200 (preferably the 3.545 rear) on this thing. Now the drive train up until here is set. I picked up an LS1 with a T56 and I will do a custom drive shaft. However, I can't seem to find a straight answer on the CV joints.

From what I understand, if I use the R200 with the half shafts, I am going to have geometry issues, similary if I use CV joints from a 300ZX.

So what cv joint can I use or piece together that is not going to bind and will be short enough for the R200?

Pics:

EngineBay.jpg

Iso.jpg

RearEnd.jpg

Yes, that paint job is going away too.

Yeah, I am in philly, and yeah...I looked this thing over before I bought it, there was some minor rust, but all of it should be managable. The car is in Trenton at a friends place with a yard. I am hoping to make an arrangement to help him build a shed if he lets me use it for the build :D.

Check out Modern Motorsports here http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56

What I learned from searching this forum is that the 300 ZX Turbo '84-'88 half shafts are more desireable as they are a smaller diameter and will clear a rear sway bar better. MM sells adapters that allow for room for the CV style halfshafts to fit. This is the direction I intend to take.

BTW, get your wallet out if you want to find a clutch style LSD R200. Very uncommon, only in the '87-'88 300ZX Turbo, unless you go aftermarket. Same comment on the wallet, then.

I am fairly new to this forum but have found nearly every piece of info I need as I proceed with a '72. Great helpful crowd here.

What are my options for an LSD on this? I know if I get an R200 I can swap the internals for the power brute (are they still selling and questionable quality?) or the Quaife (which is what I am leaning towards, however I have grown attached to my arm and leg which I will have to pay). If I manage to find a 87-88 300zxt (unlikely). What is the deal with the Nismo unit? Anything other then that?

What are my options for an LSD on this? I know if I get an R200 I can swap the internals for the power brute (are they still selling and questionable quality?) or the Quaife (which is what I am leaning towards, however I have grown attached to my arm and leg which I will have to pay). If I manage to find a 87-88 300zxt (unlikely). What is the deal with the Nismo unit? Anything other then that?
While he is right that you should be doing the searching, there is also the Subaru R180 option. There's a sticky on it in the Drivetrain subforum. There's also a write-up, I believe by hughdogz, for a Pathfinder (I think?) LSD. Or maybe he used the nismo unit and pathfinder axles... I forget.

Hi all,

I went with the Q45 R200 setup....you can find all the info on the drivetrain section...you can go to my cardomain page to check out pictures of what you need....this would be the cheapest way to go I guess and parts are available at junk yards...

Good Luck!!!