HybridZ

1971 Datsun 510 Goon

nullbound

I've always loved Datsun 510's, especially the wagons. There was one that slipped through my fingers in 2003 that I wish I could have purchased. I've looked here and there, but not too seriously until the past few months. Then David (Qwik240z) had to go and post this in the classifieds: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142738&highlight=510

I thought about it for a day and then contacted David. Now she's mine.:mrgreen:

This will be my daily driver for the most part, giving me time to work on my 280's. It's been hard to work on the 280's since I had been using one as my daily driver.

Anywho, this is how the wagon looked when I got it:

DSC00413.JPG

I haven't really done much other than drive it since I received it. I've done mostly local driving, but did take it on a 120-mile round trip a few days ago.

For my first change, I had a set of nice 280zx turbo wheels that I decided to use on the goon. I just needed to get some new tires for them. I purchased some Falken Azenis 205/50-15's for a pretty good price and took them to get them put on. I love that everything fits inside the car. This would have been two trips in my Z.

DSC00410.JPG

Tires mounted and balanced:

DSC00417.JPG

And new shoes mounted:

DSC004231.JPG

DSC00425.JPG

The fronts stick out more than I would like and the brakes leave a lot to be desired, but I'm planning to do the 280zx strut/brake swap at some point in the near future to correct that.

I also removed a sticker from the back (forgot to take pics of that) and am planning to remove the stick-on side trim.

More to come, but I also posted some pics here in my picasa album for the car: http://picasaweb.google.com/nullproject/1971Datsun510Wagon#

• 1 month later...

I started replacing my gas tank hoses today. I haven't been able to put a full tank of gas in this car without some serious gas smells inside the car and about 1/4 of the tank running down my driveway.

The hoses behind the panel inside the car looked pretty good, but will still be replaced. I'll also throw some dynamat down while I'm at it.

DSC00441.JPG

Most of the hoses under the car looked like this and practically went to dust just from touching them. This was definitely one of the hoses that was leaking.

DSC004441.JPG

The gas tank looked pretty clean, but was hiding some caked on dirt in a few spots. I'm glad I was wearing safety glasses while doing this job.

DSC004461.JPG

The filler inlet on the tank had some rust around it, but more was found when I removed the hose.

DSC00450.JPG

After getting the tank out, I spent a few hours cleaning and degreasing it. The rust on the filler neck took some time with my dremel, but I removed all that I could and then sprayed a few coats of rust encapsulator on the tank. I'll paint it later.

DSC00454.JPG

That's all I got done today. I'll paint the tank over the next few days and start putting the new hoses in next weekend.

More pics in my picasa album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nullproject/1971Datsun510Wagon#

Not as much progress as hoped, but got some dynamat down and the hoses on the inside of the car replaced. I was hoping to have the gas tank in today, but I was short on 12-an line.:cuss:

DSC00475.JPG

And I finally removed the ugly, stick-on side trim. It came off pretty easily. I have some emblems for the fenders and rear on order. I also replaced the tail light lenses.

DSC00476.JPG

Wrapped up the gas tank project today.

DSC005721.JPG

This next pic shows the fun part, snaking the lines through the frame and getting them on the tank. I probably spent 90 minutes on these two hoses alone.

DSC005661.JPG

Filler neck cover reinstalled

DSC005711.JPG

I'm planning to replace the bolts that hold the cover and the tank later on with stainless steel bolts.

Got some dynamat behind the driver's side rear panel.

DSC005902.JPG

I also replaced the sidemarker lights and gaskets, and put on the new fender and rear emblems from classicdatsun.

DSC005923.JPG

There's two holes at about the same level as the 510 emblem on the left side, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be there. I'm starting to think it may have been some emblem put on by a dealer at some point.

DSC00594_1.JPG

Next on the list... I picked these up locally from hybridzer steve (the love of jdm):

DSC005932.JPG

I'll pull the springs and start cleaning these up over the next couple of days. I'm looking into what strut cartridges to use and whether or not I'll need to section.

This project may slow down a bit due to buying another datsun... I picked up this '74 260 without an engine or transmission (yes, this datsun thing really is an addiction). It was previously owned my my friend Paul and has already had a lot of great work done. I have my previous 377 that I need to go through and then it will go in this car. I just need to round up a transmission, shifter, and driveshaft and this car will be back on the street.

IMG_4316.JPG

It need some work, but has already had quite a bit done to it. I'll start another project thread on this one.

I don't have the 260 at my place yet, so I decided to do a little to the wagon between showers and thunder. I decided to remove the underdash a/c unit and the am radio.

DSC005962.JPG

I also trimmed the radio surround piece to fit a cd player (one that I forgot that I had):

DSC005981.JPG

DSC006022.JPG

And, yes, more dynamat:

DSC00600.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend, I completed installing my alpine cd player in the goon. This part was pretty much bold in, based on the trimming I had done on the panel already.

DSC00637.JPG

To go with the cd player, I installed a set of polk audio mm6501 component speakers. This was the fun part. I didn't want to cut the doors up, so I decided to use a set of universal kick panel enclosures, like I did with my 240z. I matched these up to a set of replacement kick panels for the dime that I picked up on ebay.

DSC006221.JPG

I like these better than the ones on my Z, as they're a 2 piece design that allows you to hide the bolts/screws/whatever that hold down the panels.

DSC00631.JPG

With the speakers installed:

DSC00634.JPG

And all wrapped up on the passenger side:

DSC00638.JPG

I'm still undecided on rear speakers when it comes to size. I'm definitely getting polk audio, but not sure if I'll get another set of components like the fronts or go with 6x9's. I'm leaning towards the 6x9's. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to cut up the rear panels to install them and I'm not too crazy about that.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The sound quality is pretty good, even driving around with all the windows down. It will definitely be better with some rear fill, though...

And I need to vacuum out the car...

While I loved having tunes in the goon this week, I got a little annoyed at the legroom left by my speaker install. I like the looks and the placement, but then I didn't really have anywhere to put my left foot. When a passenger decided to use the passenger side speaker panel as a foot rest, I knew I needed to do something else. So, I decided to flip the speaker panels upside down (and swapping sides) in order to mount them higher up on the kick panels.

DSC006391.JPG

DSC006403.JPG

Still need to relocate the hood latch release cable (sitting behind the speaker panel):

DSC00641.JPG

I was immediately happier with this placement for this reason alone:

DSC00642.JPG

During the week I had to cross my left leg under my right, resting my foot just in front of the seat. This wasn't ideal for driving and felt a little awkward. Besides the leg room, this placement also makes the carpet easier to move around for whenever I get around to vacuuming and/or replacing the carpet.

If I had to do this over again, I'd probably use 5.25" midrange speakers and kick panel enclosures like the ones in my 240Z. I may even swap speakers and panels between cars at some point, but this will work for now.

Upcoming things to do to the Goon before the 260Z takes up my car time (260 is still at my friend's place for the time being):

1. Install rear speakers (decided on 6x9's and rear panel carnage) - Hopefully during the week
  2. Get rid of points distributor, replace with 200sx EI dizzy (parts sitting in box in garage)
  3. Finish disassembling the 280zx struts and ready them for coilovers
  4. Purchase 280zx brake bits, coilover bits, and other parts needed for lowering
  5. Lower car
  6. Enjoy car and try to stop reading RTz's sr20det swap thread.. It makes the goon feel inadequate.

Scratch item one from the above list. I finished bastardizing my rear panels during the week in order to install my rear speakers. This was a simple job, other than running the wires under the car, under the carpet next to the transmission tunnel, etc.

The stereo sounds much better with the rear speakers, but the highs are pretty... bright. I'm getting some vibration in the rear at higher volume. I know the license plate is part of it, but will try to figure out the rest.

DSC006441.JPG

DSC006453.JPG

DSC00646.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't on my list above, but that's to be expected.

I took the goon's front chrome pieces off, as well as the rear bumper.

DSC00647.JPG

DSC00648.JPG

DSC00649_edit.JPG

I removed the front and rear bumper brackets, too. The brackets will be powdercoated and the chrome pieces will get restored/rechromed. I also have some clear marker and front turn signal lenses, but didn't get around to putting them on yet.

Whoever put the front end pieces on after the car was painted last used all different kinds of screws to hold the pieces on. There's so many different types that I don't know what was original. Most of the screws were rusting, though, and will be replaced anyway with stainless steel screws that match and hold the pieces on correctly.

I need to get the bumpers and other pieces packaged and shipped. I'll take better pics of them before I pack them. It started to rain just as I was taking the rear bumper off.

• 1 month later...

Not much to report lately... I've been working on my 260. I did, however, recently mount my re-chromed bumpers, but need to pull them back off to paint the back side. I still want to get the brackets powdercoated, too. Here's a pic with the bumpers mounted:

DSC00699.JPG

The wagon has come in handy for the 260 project. Yesterday, I hauled a new set of fenders, front spoiler, rear valence, headlight extensions, and several other parts down to my friend's shop where we're prepping the 260 to be painted. With the rear seat folded down, everything fit inside the wagon quite easily.

DSC007481.JPG

I also had five people honk and give thumbs-up while driving on the expressway to my friend's place. The goon brings happiness to many.:mrgreen:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday, I replaced my ratty interior door handles with some replacements I got off of ebay.

Before:

med_gallery_212_742_2142265.jpg

med_gallery_212_742_1096885.jpg

med_gallery_212_742_70554.jpg

After:

med_gallery_212_742_2717684.jpg

med_gallery_212_742_2600707.jpg

med_gallery_212_742_1473022.jpg

The new ones are so much better. The old ones felt like they were going to break at any time. These feel way more solid.

• 3 months later...

There's two holes at about the same level as the 510 emblem on the left side, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be there. I'm starting to think it may have been some emblem put on by a dealer at some point.

DSC00594_1.JPG

i know this is an old build thread and idk if you're still working on the goon, but the emblem holes are where there used to be a "nissan automatic" emblem. can't find a picture of it right now though...

• 2 weeks later...

i know this is an old build thread and idk if you're still working on the goon, but the emblem holes are where there used to be a "nissan automatic" emblem. can't find a picture of it right now though...

I've been daily-driving the wagon, so haven't been able to work on it lately. Thanks for the info. I ran across a pic of that emblem a while back, but haven't been able to find one for sale.

• 3 months later...

Not the update I wanted to give:

med_gallery_212_742_840518.jpg

Someone pulled out in front of me today. Bumper is all twisted, grille and core support pushed back, hood bent on front driver's corner, driver's fender is all bent up.... not a happy day.

Edited by nullbound

Not the update I wanted to give:

med_gallery_212_742_840518.jpg

Someone pulled out in front of me today. Bumper is all twisted, grille and core support pushed back, hood bent on front driver's corner, driver's fender is all bent up.... not a happy day.

Bummer I know how you feel,same thing happened to me but with worse results back in May. Sorry to hear that about your goon.