HybridZ

where can I get my 83 zxt wheels redone/ repolished?

mkgtn

If you are interested I can help you out, I have a side-business polishing and re-finishing metal parts. I am fairly local to you as well (Colorado Springs), what are you looking at in terms of a turn around time?

Here is a sample of my polished work on my car:

335464007.jpg

I just finished this for a friend's MR2 Turbo:

346294465.jpg

The last Datsun L6 valve cover I did:

343434891.jpg

I just refinished this BMW 635CSI valve cover a guy restoring his (you can see what the factory stock looks like next to it):

343434815.jpg

Regards - Yasin (slownrusty@yahoo.com)

if you have time to do it by yourself, just buy some sandpaper and aluminum polish, I did it with my rims and here are the results.

(clic pics)

th_IMG_1192.jpg

th_IMG_1049.jpg

th_IMG_1663.jpg

Very interested, could you go into depth on what grit and hand or power tool polish? I have some western turbines that would look awesome polished.

If you are interested I can help you out, I have a side-business polishing and re-finishing metal parts. I am fairly local to you as well (Colorado Springs), what are you looking at in terms of a turn around time?

Here is a sample of my polished work on my car:

335464007.jpg

I just finished this for a friend's MR2 Turbo:

346294465.jpg

The last Datsun L6 valve cover I did:

343434891.jpg

I just refinished this BMW 635CSI valve cover a guy restoring his (you can see what the factory stock looks like next to it):

343434815.jpg

Regards - Yasin (slownrusty@yahoo.com)

Yasin, nice work!

I noticed in the pic of your car the intercooler and I guess the snaller one in front of it. Is that an oil cooler? It looks like the oil cooler lines interface with the intercooler also or am I seeing things?

How much do you charge to polish a Z turbo valve cover?

Greg

Depending on the finish of the material and it's shape determines the grit you use. For wheels which have a relativly smooth face finish, I would start with 220, or 320 on a orbital power sander. I would finish up with 600. Once it's sanded then I then continue with cutting rouge on a polishing wheel. After the initial cut polish you jump up to a "color" polish which really brings the luster or "color" of the metal out. A bench polisher is a worth while investment if you polish on a regular basis. You can pick them up for about 50 bucks at harbor freight.

I would do the lip starting with 320 and finish up with 600 by hand. I am working on a valvecover right now, and I am going as low as 150 to really take the material down. I will though go through all the grits to get it up to 600 before I start the actual polishing process. Preparation is the key to beautiful polishing.

If your wheels are really clean to start with you might just start with the 600 to clean them and try polishing with either the mothers (takes a long time) or a polishing wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Slownrusty's work looks real nice. If he is close I would consider his help. On the other hand I did mine myself and they work for the now. I'm going aftermarket later so I didn't have a pro do it. I used a wire wheel attachment on my air compressor; stripped sanded and polished the metal then came back up with primer paint and clear coat. Here are some before and after shots. Gosh my car used to be pretty ugly lol;)

Jason

12560_thumb.attach

Cleaned stockers_thumb.jpg

old stockers_thumb.jpg