HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Beautiful job. I am basically doing the same thing with an RB26. I have two questions if you can help. The brake master, what year booster fits, I have the same master, not installed? The AZC coilovers, my shocks stick through too high. I could put a steel bushing below to lower them, what did you do, if anything? Thanks

Don, it's actually a 72 booster. We were told that the kit didn't have pressure issues and that it actually works best with the 72 booster. I'll have to let you guys know if I'm happy with the pedal once I'm on the road with it and we'll go from there. The AZC coilovers sticking through too far... I have different A arms and such than stock. Could be that they don't work well without the modified stuff. Don't know. I'm definitely not having that issue though. Is it just that you have too much thread coming out into the engine bay?

As for an update on my car, I talked with the two guys working on my car at National Speed two days ago. They've had some internal strife there with a tech, and now have replaced him. Unfortunately, this had a negative effect on productivity on my car. That's why there's not been much to talk about.

Instead of getting a "bling bling" Tomei throttle body, we're sending mine off to be overbored and polished. I don't want it to draw the eye for being ugly or pretty. It's just not where I want the focus under the hood. We've decided not to use Samco radiator hosing, instead going for polished aluminum piping just like the intercooler piping that you saw here (but smaller in diameter, of course). All of the fittings are top-grade, and allow for engine mount flex. Other than that, the exhaust is nearly fully fabricated. All of the hangers are custom, one off stainless. Many hours are into these hangers, and the tech at NSI has worked really hard to no have to drill into the car, only using existing/stock hanging points. By the 3rd of November, they will have all fabrication done. Then, all of the parts will be sent off for high temp thermal coating. The cam cover will be done too. Once that all comes back (hopefully 10 days), it'll be reassembled and tuning will start. After it's tuned to my liking (I'll go down there for the tuning and it's about 600 miles away from me) I'll load it up in my trailer and take it back to Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn in North Wilkesboro where we'll assemble the rest of it (front clip, basic assembly, interior). Then, I'll put it back in the trailer and bring it over the mountain to Knoxville and enjoy the ♥♥♥♥ out of it on sunny days.

That's the plan, fellas!

100_6438.jpg

100_6439.jpg

Following the restomod with great interest! Though I was born in Texas, I share the same affliction (have an '07 C2S, '05 LR3, and a '70 240z). Read the Excellence article 3-4 times (great car). I was wonderin' why you chose the modern motorsports rear control arms over the AZC rears? Was this a weight issue? It'd be great to see a time at VIR when you get it dialed in.

Wow. We really have a ton of similarities, huh?

On the rear arms, I must've mistyped something. I actually bought BOTH the AZC & the Modern Motorsports arms. (Can you say, OVERKILL?) I wanted to really evaluate which I thought was best.

Here's the pic. The MM one is blue. The AZC is just the chromoly. We put the AZC on, so if someone wants the MM ones, I have those ready to ship!

jaredcullop006_4.jpg

As for a VIR time, yeah. I can't wait to get one either. But I'm sure I'll leave a lot on the table, unlike in the 911. I really don't want to mess the Z up. So glad that you liked the Excellence article. Did you see the one that I wrote on the Panamera? They flew me over to Stuttgart Germany and I was in the first group of American journalists to get to be in that car. I got my own aggressive run on the track in the Turbo. Amazing car.

The AZC website show billet 6061T-6 aluminum control arms like the front. I didn't realize they had a chromoly version. Did you have to fashion a mount for the rear sway bar? In one shot I thought I saw the links taped to the control arm.

I bought mine before the billets came out. Might swap later on. The diff mount has holes for the sway bar to go through. Is that what you're talking about?

I bought mine before the billets came out. Might swap later on. The diff mount has holes for the sway bar to go through. Is that what you're talking about?
I think he's referring to the holes on the rear control arms themselves for the end links (like what the MM arms have).

On another note, it looks like a very cool project but are you actually doing any of the work yourself?

I thought the control arms had mounting points for the sway bar. I see where the SB is mounted to the diff mount. On AZC's website the SB connection to the rear control arm is present on the billet control arm and in one of the pics with the full install the rear sway bar can be seen to mount to the control arm. 1) why did you choose the AZC over MM arms and 2) Are camber plates necessary in the rear or can camber be adjusted adequately with the arms?

Finished a DE event at Infineon last weekend and they had a Panamera there but were only giving rides in a Maserati Quattroport (sp?). I'll look for the Excellence write up.

I think he's referring to the holes on the rear control arms themselves for the end links (like what the MM arms have).

On another note, it looks like a very cool project but are you actually doing any of the work yourself?

Gotcha. I'll have to look at that. Not doing the work myself, other than small bits. I bought this car to do myself, and it got out of hand and I got busy. Didn't want to slow down the time that it'd take me to get it, and I wanted the quality to be better than I could deliver myself.

I thought the control arms had mounting points for the sway bar. I see where the SB is mounted to the diff mount. On AZC's website the SB connection to the rear control arm is present on the billet control arm and in one of the pics with the full install the rear sway bar can be seen to mount to the control arm. 1) why did you choose the AZC over MM arms and 2) Are camber plates necessary in the rear or can camber be adjusted adequately with the arms?

Finished a DE event at Infineon last weekend and they had a Panamera there but were only giving rides in a Maserati Quattroport (sp?). I'll look for the Excellence write up.

I chose the AZC arms because they looked nicer, honestly. The bottom of the car has been just as important to me on the fit and finish as the top. I don't know if camber plates on the rear are necessary. I just did them while we had the car apart. Since I haven't gotten it down on the ground to really play with the suspension, I can't answer that.

The Quattroporte is an amazing car, but I'd take a Panamera all day long over it. Let me know what you think about the Excellence article on it! I have scans too, if you want me to email it to you.

I'm sure I'll leave a lot on the table, unlike in the 911. I really don't want to mess the Z up.

It won't take you long to get the feel for the car with its changes, and you will be back in "the Z" again. And you will be taking those precious seconds left on the table by fear of the Big Bad Wall back off of your times.

But it is natural to assume you're going to baby a new (old) baby for a little while, at first at least. :mrgreen:

Maybe so. The car is perfect though.

Can ou back this up a bit? Tell me why you say it?

They do great work, but I think there prices are just crazy on some stuff. There are some smaller shops in the area that are just as good if not better for a lot cheaper. The shops I have in mind do not even advertise in the phone book, they are covered up with just word of mouth advertisement from local car shows and what not.

They do great work, but I think there prices are just crazy on some stuff. There are some smaller shops in the area that are just as good if not better for a lot cheaper. The shops I have in mind do not even advertise in the phone book, they are covered up with just word of mouth advertisement from local car shows and what not.

Thanks much. I have only been paying hourly. I supply them with everything. The hourly rate seems very fair, but sometimes I don't understand how it takes so long to do some things. Oh well. I just want the car back. I'm darn near broke from this whole thing!