HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Looks great man! Shouldn't the oil return be pointed directly down though? Or is that a cooling line I see?

The oiling axis of the turbocharger (i.e. oil-feed and oil-return axis) is perfectly vertical. If you look at the pictures again, the gold fitting is the restrictor fitting for the oil-feed inlet of the turbocharger.

The line you're thinking of is the water-return line (I assume).

Here are two clear pictures of the oil-return hard line...

100_7617.jpg

100_7618.jpg

Here you can see the oil-restrictor fitting for the oil-feed inlet...

100_7621.jpg

All water and oil lines assembled...

(the inline-oil filter did not stay blue)

100_7645.jpg

This is how the inline-oil filter looks now, polished, with a custom polished aluminum filter stay bracket...

100_7650.jpg

FYI, that dude is the lead badass on the team of badasses building this car. I asked him to watch this forum in case there were any questions he could help anyone with. I'm really impressed with them. Check out their website. Not a silly solicitation, but really. They turbo anything and it works, and they have the nicest shop I've ever been in, and the guys know their stuff better than I can actually believe. So many times, even now, I ask Jordan or Taylor or Chris... three guys on my car, how in the world they learned all this stuff!

I would re-route the throttle cable which might require a linkage redesign. Call me anal, but the cable resting on the downpipe in an otherwise perfectly thought out ride, makes me itch to redesign. The sock will probably work but...I don't mean to sound like an armchair QB, but that missing detail bugs me in such a perfect car.

FYI, that dude is the lead badass on the team of badasses building this car. I asked him to watch this forum in case there were any questions he could help anyone with. I'm really impressed with them. Check out their website. Not a silly solicitation, but really. They turbo anything and it works, and they have the nicest shop I've ever been in, and the guys know their stuff better than I can actually believe. So many times, even now, I ask Jordan or Taylor or Chris... three guys on my car, how in the world they learned all this stuff!

Thanks Jared, we do greatly appreciate the kind words. :)

I'm glad you made it back safe, by the way!

I would re-route the throttle cable which might require a linkage redesign. Call me anal, but the cable resting on the downpipe in an otherwise perfectly thought out ride, makes me itch to redesign. The sock will probably work but...I don't mean to sound like an armchair QB, but that missing detail bugs me in such a perfect car.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the only 36" throttle cable I can find with a 90degree provision in the base, is for a Harley Davidson, and we're not 100% that it will work. There have to be other options out there, it's a matter of calling each company to see what's available.

The company we normally use for throttle cables and accessories is Lokar, but unfortunately they are closed for the Holidays until Monday, 01.04.10. My searchs on automotive aftermarket search engines hasn't been fruitful thus far.

The fire sleeve is good for a continuous exposure of 1,200degree F conditions. See the product information here, it's designed for spark plug wires, such as an LSX in which the spark plug wires are awfully close to the header primary, even stock.

It will work until a 90degree throttle cable can be procured.

Good input though, I agree 110% with you!

Are you using the inline filter on the turbo feed as an extra precaution to protect the turbo, or is it because the oil feed is unfiltered?

jt

The oil feed is from the factory location (the oil-feed 12mm x 1.25TP location) that we have adapted for -AN accommodations. The only place this oil is filtered, is at the main engine-oil filter. We do not completely trust that, and would rather protect the non-rebuildable dual-ball bearing CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly, i.e. industry standard for "center section") from any debris. If you've ever seen the opening for a Garrett dual-ball bearing restrictor fitting, you'll know how insanely small the opening is. It wouldn't take much to clog it, then... Well... Jared's got a $500 CHRA exchange to deal with. So to avoid that, the inline oil filter is a nice safe guard against contamination of the CHRA. :)

The fuel system routed and completed (all that needs to be done is the rail plug to be installed)...

100_7643.jpg

The fuel-feed line routed...

100_7639.jpg

The injector housings painted black...

100_7640.jpg

The inline oil filter for the turbocharger feed...

(this is not remaining anodized blue, it will be polished to match the rest of the engine bay)

100_7642.jpg

100_7644.jpg

Water feed, water return, oil feed, and oil return lines routed...

100_7645.jpg

100_7646.jpg

Taylor wrapping up the wiring...

100_7647.jpg

This…

100_7658.jpg

Turns into this…

(notice the now polished oil-feed filter)

100_7650.jpg

And this...

(this is a guide stay for the AN lines that are running forward for the breather system

100_7651.jpg

Finalized shape/design and polished...

100_7656.jpg

100_7657.jpg

100_7659.jpg

A preview of how the breather lines will be routed once finalized...

100_7661.jpg

More AN lines routed.

The blow-off valve vacuum reference line routed, and finalized with its own source...

100_7669.jpg

And of course, a nice line stay bracket was designed...

100_7670.jpg

The vacuum reference point...

100_7671.jpg

The AEM electronic-boost control solenoid vacuum lines routed...

100_7672.jpg

100_7674.jpg

100_7675.jpg

100_7676.jpg

The wastegate/electronic-boost control solenoid pressure reference (on the turbocharger compressor housing)...

100_7673.jpg

A few shots from late last night.

Chris (of National Speed) welding...

100_7677.jpg

We hated the idea of having just a filter on the valve cover for the crankcase breather port (i.e. the crankcase and valve cover already have a vacuum reference on the turbocharger intake tube, the crankcase needs a way to breath in fresh air), so Chris built a breather canister to fit in with the rest of the build quality...

100_7678.jpg

The bracket...

100_7680.jpg

The back side...

100_7681.jpg

The vacuum reference point...

100_7679.jpg

Chris welding the oil return hard line…

100_7682.jpg

The oil-accumulator anti-froth reservoir...

(this component gives the return oil a place to convert itself from frothy oil, and revert back to liquid oil prior to returning back to the oil pan)

100_7683.jpg

With the hard line finalized, and everything tightened up...

(unfortunately, no company we could find offers these -10AN female thread to -10AN female thread 45degree coupler fittings in black, only red and blue. So it is what it is, at least they're not visable from above, they're hidden by the manifold)

100_7691.jpg

The valve cover and crankcase breather hard lines finalized...

(please note; the hard lines are not clocked to their final position, nor are the hard pipes finalized coating/appearance wise. The design stage is finalized)

100_7692.jpg

100_7693.jpg

On their route to the oil-separator canister...

(please note, there are two types of -8AN line used here, one was used for mock-up purposes, and matching line is being installed for finalization)

100_7694.jpg

Every fitting and component on the underside of the car getting finalized, and tightened down properly...

100_7697.jpg

100_7698.jpg

The wastegate/electronic-boost controller AN lines heat shrinked (as not to deface the subframe from friction), and tied in place...

100_7696.jpg

Thanks for the input. I mentioned on a Z-Only website that someone on another forum mentioned the exhaust/weld quality. Carl Beck (extremely famous in the 240Z/S030 world as possibly the most respected, most quoted, and most honored Z man in the world behind Peter Brock himself) wrote this:

Hi blakt out:

I owned/operated my own Muffler Shop for a couple years {decades ago} - that is beautiful work on your exhaust system.

Makes me happy. I really don't know what more one could expect. Perfect welds aren't going to happen on something like this. But still, thanks for the comment, for real.

Thanks for the input. I mentioned on a Z-Only website that someone on another forum mentioned the exhaust/weld quality. Carl Beck (extremely famous in the 240Z/S030 world as possibly the most respected, most quoted, and most honored Z man in the world behind Peter Brock himself) wrote this:

Hi blakt out:

I owned/operated my own Muffler Shop for a couple years {decades ago} - that is beautiful work on your exhaust system.

Makes me happy. I really don't know what more one could expect. Perfect welds aren't going to happen on something like this. But still, thanks for the comment, for real.

It's not the welds themselves, it's the slip fit pipes.